suspension settings for 50kg midget

Moderator: Moderators

ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

suspension settings for 50kg midget

Post by ross46 »

Seeing as summer is soon and more importantly skeggy, i have been going through my bike trying to set it all up perfect, fuelling almost bang on with dynojet kit, might need 100 mains but not really noticeable, brakes sorted, clutch sorted, final drive checked, carbs balanced, valve clearances set and electrics ripped out, cleaned, cut, soldered and waterproofed and new Pirelli Diablo Rossi II on my last thing left is the suspension, i have been reading up how to set it after changing fork oil and lubing everything, my problem is that being under 50kg without bike kit and about 57kg in leathers and boots and helmet im unsure if i can set the suspension to that weight, am i going to need new springs? If so what sort of weight? Or can I adjust the settings to suit me? If I can what sort of settings would be in the ballpark? I have looked in the forum and can't find any settings for someone as small as me, any help will be much appreciated, thanks, ross
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Re: suspension settings for 50kg midget

Post by ross46 »

Anybody able to help?
Columbo
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by Columbo »

I don't think there's much adjustment on the standard forks of a ZXR.
I personally would go for progressive springs and then experiment with different oil weights.

As for the rear, I can't really help.
I do however, know a guy in London that is the mutt's nuts with suspension.
A guy known as "B" who runs Race Science. Link Below.

http://briannicholson.wordpress.com/services-offered/
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Thanks mate, im fine with buying new springs but I dont know how to work out what strength springs I need? Because if I can't get the adjustment with standard springs then im going to need new ones but what strength are the standards?
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

hi,

im about your weight

standard front forks will be fine.. standard springs, standard weight oil, standard air-gap, damping and preload somewhere in the middle of the adjustment range

the rear shock is the issue.. its way over sprung (to cope with pillions) and the damping is harsh.. I tend to set mine up with 0-10mm static sag and the damping on 3.. set like this its still harsh but wont kick you out of the seat over big bumps or "pack down" on a rough surface.

really.. an aftermarket shock is the way forward.. i've a fully adjustable Nitron on my race bike with a softer spring (sorry, no idea what weight it is, i just told nitron what i weigh and they supplied what they thought would work) and its lovely.. bit pricey though.

hth