Fork Bushes

Moderator: Moderators

Jimlad12
My Bike: 94 zxr 400

Fork Bushes

Post by Jimlad12 »

Hi guys,
I have a zxr 400 l4 and am currently doing a front fork overhaul. The guide in the workshop section has been fantastic with regards to stripping. I have done one fork with the owners manual method and one with Diesels method. I will let you know which is easier to reassemble as and when. At the minute Diesels is ahead by a long shot.
When it comes to stripping out the stanchion from the outer tube the only way is with a vice - with soft grips - and a heat gun. This is very efficient after spending an hour trying to slide hammer freely with my bare hands. It is never as easy as the guys show in the YouTube videos.
My question is this, I ordered a new set of inner and outer bushes from a website that specifies for a zxr400. However I found a different website that sells at half the price but not model specific with dimensions stated instead. Measuring the internal diameters of the bushes with an engineering scale and a micrometer for thickness I have

Inner 39.00 x 20.00 x 1.00
Outer 41.00 x 20.00 x 2.00

I couldn't find these from the cheaper website so assumed I measured the wrong sections. Does anyone have a comprehensive answer to save me, and others, money in the future??

Jim
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Fork Bushes

Post by RedexRobB »

To remove all doubt id be installing oem parts. Does the website not state where the dimensions are taken? Maybe worth an email to them?