L model rear shock!

Moderator: Moderators

sakm
My Bike: Tl1000s

L model rear shock!

Post by sakm »

Hi all

joined up a bit ago for info for my mates bike I used to visit many moons ago when I had a zxr but times have changed and big twins are the future :smt003

Any way I was out with my mate following him on his zxr he is a new rider and this was his first ride I noticed his back end looked a bit bouncy

when we stop and I had a look its bouncing around like a pogo stick! so its safe to say his rear shock is well shafted!!

I am looking to replace it for him and have done a bit of reading but cant really find the answers

what shocks fit? I know the zx6r one does I have seen one off a 06 plate that looks like it could be worth the punt

also heard gsxr shocks fit

does anyone know a decent shock with similar length to stock with a good spring rate that will work fine for a short arsed new rider just for road riding he wont be going like a mad man just yet so wont see a great improvement of an expensive one although anything is better then the one he has!

also when fitting what needs to be altered? I have heard the battery box needs adjusting is this by a lot he has a custom undertray with some sort of race tail unit so adjusting isnt too much of a problem really

anything else I need to know?

thanks all in advance Stu
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: L model rear shock!

Post by CaNsA »

Checked out this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2743
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
sakm

Post by sakm »

Thanks for that

I have checked it out but theres not a great deal of info on the shocks to be fair

I know the zx6 shock fits but how much modification is needed

I could probably figure it all out but like to have some idea before I get busy with the grinder smiler
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

You need to shave off 1mm either side off the top.

I had one on my zxr and it was just waaaay to hard even after it was adjusted.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
sakm

Post by sakm »

hmmmm

might have to look at a different shock then with a different spring rate!
sakm

Post by sakm »

done a bit of research and got a gsxr 600 k3 shock really cheap and they have a better spring rate which is closer to stock
sakm

Post by sakm »

Just thought I would update this for anyone out there

I fitted the gsxr 600 k3 shock to my mates bike today and it was pretty straight forward

You have to use the stock top shock mount but the bolt holes are different on the shock and the mount M12 stock shock M10 gsxr so I welded two washers of a decent thickness to the top mount and used the M10 bolts

Also the bottom mount is the same but this time I drilled the shock mount out to 12mm as the suspension rocker was a no no to space!

Had to also cut out the battery box support bar relocate the reg/rec and trim down the undertray and still had to move it back about an inch! not a problem as he has a different tail unit and its all hidden

pretty easy to do