Different fork lengths on L models

Moderator: Moderators

ccubed
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400

Different fork lengths on L models

Post by ccubed »

Just had a quetion from Richard at Maxton. He is building new internals for my L3 forks. The theory is I will be able to do the swop myself once he has created the new cartridge. Anyway he says there are two different lengths of L forks distinguishable by the colour. Either a lightish yellow gold or a darker bronze gold.

I think mine are lightish yellow gold. but it is a bit of a subjective question. Any more info from the intelligencia on 'ere. I am 99% sure my fork are stock L3 1993.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Different fork lengths on L models

Post by CaNsA »

AFAIK, which aint that far...

There are L forks and SP L forks.

The SP forks have an adjuster at the bottom.

I am probably wrong though.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Cansa you are right, however i think the difference in length is between the the H and L model forks rather than standard vs SP model.

Have a search round as im sure this has been covered somewhere in the past.
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

I have both H and L forks. Using a tape measure from the circular section of the aluminium plug at the top to the bottom of the fork, the H measures 780mm, and the L 745mm. There are differences in the bronze sections, lower section, and even exposed section of stanchion.
ccubed

Post by ccubed »

Yeh but, Yeh but, Richard is saying that the L model has two different lengths. Not SP not H. I would imagine that darker bronze ones were a later model. Dont forget we may be talking 1 or 2 millimeters as that would make a differnce when cutting the cartridge tubes. I tend to assume he is god when it comes to such things. Anyway it looks like we dont know. I will tell him they are light yellow and take it from there. When I do this job (if Maxton work out its possible as DIY) I will post some pictures because it is a neat solution. It saves a fair whack of money.

They used to reconstruct the internals using the original cartridge but now they use a Maxton GP20 that has been customised to fit.
ccubed

Post by ccubed »

I had to send the forks to Maxton in the end. This length difference was too risky. Apparently the difference is only measureable when the fork is fully extended against the top out spring. Anyway they should be back with me in a few days. Cant wait.