Changing rear shock spring

Moderator: Moderators

Jewy
My Bike: ZXR400L9

Changing rear shock spring

Post by Jewy »

The ZXR400L9 is my first bike and the current rear suspension setup is too hard for my weight as it was setup for a much heavy rider, with me being only 7.5 stone without gear i'm looking to change the shock spring to better suit my weight and riding.

My BF has changed his spring on his RSV from only a 9.5 to 9.0 and it has made a world of difference

Does anyone know what kg rating spring might suit me best?
I'm looking for road riding not racing settings

Columbo
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Re: Changing rear shock spring

Post by Columbo »

Have you tried winding out the adjuster? A new spring is around £90. Consider taking your bike to a workshop and asking them to setup your suspension.
Jewy
My Bike: ZXR400L9

Post by Jewy »

Columbo wrote:Have you tried winding out the adjuster? A new spring is around £90. Consider taking your bike to a workshop and asking them to setup your suspension.
I'm looking at replacing and upgrading the shock and spring, it's been on there a while, possibly from new and doesn't look like it's been looked after by previous owner so i'm just going to change the lot. Found a new spring for around £30 delivered. I will adjust it before i get round to changing it though and I have asked a couple local places who said they didn't deal with setting up suspension
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

If I was you, I'd take out the shock, clean it, clean and decrease the bottom linkage beatings, possibly change for a softer ride, can't remember which? And set the shock to standard, did it on mine and made it lovely, im only 8.5 stone and at one point dropped to your weight but the shock still felt fine and had ample grip on Pirelli rosso 2s, hope this helps from another midget!