DOG END BUSHES

Moderator: Moderators

YZF1000R
My Bike: ZX12R NINJA

DOG END BUSHES

Post by YZF1000R »

Has anyone replaced the bushes that go in the end of both Tie-Rods on the rear suspension.

I have been looking on ebay for some 2nd hand ones and cant make my mind up what to do.

I have removed the old bushes and to buy new from Cradleys I would need :-

92055 CHKM277586 RING-O,19.8X2.2 £1.78 (€2.06) x 4
42036 CHKM230168 SLEEVE,TIE ROD,UPP £7.79 (€9.04) x 2
92028 CHKM274487 BUSHING £12.06 (€13.99) x 2

making a grand total of approx. £47, this seems expensive as I could get 2nd hand ones for £20 but they may only last a few thousand miles, whereas if I buy new bushes and sleeves etc. will last for the next 10-15-20 years

To fit these is it the same as bearings - cool down bushes - heat up Tie-rod or would I need a press?
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: DOG END BUSHES

Post by Tirpitz »

I know this is a very old post but I'm going to post up a reply in case it is of future help to anyone doing this job, as I've just done it.

No, you don't need to heat up / cool down anything, the bush isn't in very firmly and is split, so it comes out / goes in simples. The hole in the dogbone is stepped and the bush sits in the inner recess. There is a widening of maybe half a mm in diameter towards the outside of the hole. This is important, as if you use a press which just fits the outer hole it will not fit the inner hole and will not push out the bush.

The way I did it was to place a large socket big enough to receive the bush on one side of the bogbone. Through this a stainless bolt to the other side of the hole. Put on a thick washer which will just clear the lip of the narrowing in the dogbone hole but not the bush, then a smaller socket which will fit through the dogbone hole, then a nut (possibly with a washer between nut and socket). Hold bolt with one spanner, tighten nut with another - hey presto!, bush is pushed out.

Same principle to install new bush with different sockets etc to suit. If you don't have a suitable bolt buy some threaded bar from your local hardware shop.

Do not be tempted to hammer the bush in / out.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock