Front forks: re-chroming stanchions

Moderator: Moderators

Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Front forks: re-chroming stanchions

Post by Ewetea »

I recently bought an L5. The front forks were leaking oil.
Close inspection revealed that someone had attempted to remove/replace the seals with a screwdriver - there were gouge marks on the stanchions.
I dismantled the forks, using the useful Diesel description, and removed the lower fork legs from the stanchions.
Searching the internet produced a number of companies who could re-chrome, but the prices varied considerably. After contacting several with questions related to the plating, finish, cost etc. I decided on "amphardchrome".
The price was good compared to others (£165), and it covered everything - collection by DPD courier; inspection for straightness; grind to remove blemishes; chrome oversize; grind to correct size; delivery. It took 10 days to complete.
The company also offers to take the complete forks, strip, report on condition, chrome and reassemble, but this obviously costs. The ZXR's are of an age now that key parts are no longer available, so refurbishing is necessary.
I was very pleased with the service, and am writing this in case anyone else is considering re-chroming. If you need further information, e-mail: andy@amphardchrome.co.uk
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Front forks: re-chroming stanchions

Post by RedexRobB »

Brook suspension do replacement stations for £112 each. They are aftermarket parts mind.