Greasing shock linkage?

Moderator: Moderators

Smousley1995
My Bike: Zxr 400 L 1993

Greasing shock linkage?

Post by Smousley1995 »

I've had my Zxr 400 for 6 months-ish, I've never greased the shock linkage and I don't suspect the guy I bought it off greased it in the ten years he had it so it probably hasn't been done for a very long time.
Someone told me to spray **** loads of wd40 all over it every now and then and that will suffice but that seems a bit of a bodge.
Is it worth doing? And if I did do you have to take the swing arm off and support it off the subframe?
Thanks.
Why take life so seriously, your not going to come out alive!
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Re: Greasing shock linkage?

Post by KwakKwak »

You don't need to remove the swing arm to remove the shock linkage, but to grease the swing arm bearings you will need to remove the swing arm.
Spraying with WD is defo a bodge job, use 3 in 1 for a higher quality bodge :pmsl

I have a nice Abba stand with adaptors that fit into the footrest mounts for this very occasion, but if you decide to be lazy and forget about the swing arm you can support the bike off the swing arm pivots with different adaptors for said stand. The Mrs bought me it for Christmas, what a lovely lovely lady she is.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

WD40........................................... :pmsl

Apply grease to the bearings.............................................NOT to the bolts

And use the recommended grease...................not something you scooped up out of a frying pan

They very friendly people from Kawasaki explain it all in the manual with pictures

You may be lucky and have some grease nipple on your linkage
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

do it properly as cargo says...better still, check the condition of all the roller bearings and replace those that look dodgy...or just replace them all.

marksman make very good bearings with/without 1-2 internal grease seals http://www.marksman-ind.co.uk/
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Smousley1995
My Bike: Zxr 400 L 1993

Post by Smousley1995 »

Cheers, I'll probably bite the bullet and have it all off to do a proper job.
KwakKwak wrote: Spraying with WD is defo a bodge job, use 3 in 1 for a higher quality bodge :pmsl
:pmsl that bit cracked me up :pmsl
Why take life so seriously, your not going to come out alive!