Rear Link arm bearings

Moderator: Moderators

antares
My Bike: ZXR400

Rear Link arm bearings

Post by antares »

Hi

I prep bikes for my daughter racing with BEMSEE in the rookie 400. We have previously raced a GSXR400 but have now purchased a ZXR400 L in 'semi' race trim. I am working through it and putting new bearings in the rear linkage system. On thing I notice is that where the rear linkage arms come together on the bolt passing through the (I do not know the technical term for the 'seesaw' that connects to the bottom of the suspension unit) there is a bearing - this is fine. However, at the top of the linkage arms there is not a bearing but just metal sleeves (tubing) with the bolts passing through it. These are quite sloppy with considerable play. Is this correct?

Many thanks for any helpfull comments.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Rear Link arm bearings

Post by banner001 »

here is the image you are looking for:
http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1994-l4-z ... ml#results

if you need parts call cradley kawasaki.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
alanh
My Bike: zxr400 L racebike/R1

Post by alanh »

you heathers dad?
zxr400L Race Bikes Competing in EDIASIA F400 and thunderbikes with BMCRC in 2016 and an RD125LC MK1 restoration project
antares

Post by antares »

Yup, I'm Heather's dad. Sorted the suspension. When I looked at it I see there should be Oilite glacier bearings in the arms. These had completely worn away as had the steel sleeves that run inside them. Bought two new glaciers from The Bearing Shop (amazing ranges of bearings) my mate pressed them in and turned up new steel sleeves from them. Everything is now really smooth with no play anywhere. Heather and I rebuilt the back end (still with standard shock - roll on sponsorship!) so now its on to get the front end sorted. Brake lever goes back to the bars because the master cylinder is knackered. Bought a newish 14mm GSXR master cylinder to fit. Already got six pot Honda calipers fitted so should be stoppies no problem.
alanh
My Bike: zxr400 L racebike/R1

Post by alanh »

i ran the same m/c, GSXR tokico 4 pots are usually the calipers of choice as the 6 pots are a pain in the butt to get to bleed up properly and lack feel in comparison. I spoke to heather earlier about the gsxr shock upgrade, better than stock and cheap but not as good as an aftermarket one. don't mess about with fancy fork internals though, myself and colin martin both run standard internals just set up correctly and are more than up to the job, just replace bushes and seals with decent quality ones (get all my suspension bits from steve Jordan, tell him you race with bemsee too its a bit cheaper usually) run a wilbers race shock, brilliant kit easily as good as ohlins. Clearances need kept on top of a bit on these zxr's and camchain tensioner blades are prone to snapping so would replace that. some easy ways to get extra power from stock motors too. Plenty spares here if you need anything
zxr400L Race Bikes Competing in EDIASIA F400 and thunderbikes with BMCRC in 2016 and an RD125LC MK1 restoration project
antares

Post by antares »

Thanks for the suggestions.