Rear shock upgrades...

Moderator: Moderators

Jackamory
My Bike: Zxr400 l9

Rear shock upgrades...

Post by Jackamory »

Hi people!
I'm new to zxr400's and have recently bought an l5.. It's currently in pieces and I'm rebuilding it,
I've been searching for a shock for it non stop amoungst other things..
I've read about all these different shocks off of other bikes fitting it but I keep finding info contradicting the last info I read about certain shocks...
Can I please have some guidance and advice preferably with some detailed info and maybe pictures to help me come to a conclusion on which shock to buy for it?
I'm not looking at spending mega money one one and would rather have a standard shock from a different bike...
Someone help please?
Thanks, jack
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Rear shock upgrades...

Post by banner001 »

dont bother fitting another bikes standard shock, you will have no end of hassle getting one to fit as most have piggyback reservoirs now and that will facilitate moving your reg/rec and maybe battery box slightly.

the shocks on these bikes are bad as they are between 11 - 23 years old, why would you want to fit an old shock of someones thrashed 600...save up the money if you need to and buy a modern shock, prices start from about £300 and go up to about £600, after that you wont be able to tell the difference. as well as doing that factor in about £60 for new swingarm/linkage bearings and refresh your back end as a job lot.

TBH just stripping the linkages out, replacing the bearings and repacking with fresh grease will make the back end a million times better.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
day01543
My Bike: zxr400l1

Post by day01543 »

Hi ya bud,before splashing the cash is £300+.ask yourself this.what's my budget? Will I be able to set the" sag" up correctly? Do I ride the bike hard enough to even tell? And last of all is my bike worth spending that sort of dollar on? Let's face it there aren't many that can answer yes to all of those truthly.I've got a zx6r g/j (98-02) on mine that I purchased from a zxr400 god that swears by this upgrade.he's had over 230 zxr's.there are plenty about from low mileage bikes.no drilling required,fits straight in with only minor modification required.I might get slated from the die hard crowd but just ask this.what's up scared of a proper bike lads? No comparison for cc.until you've ridden a 12r or a blade.stop picking on the little people with little budgets.thought these forums are for help.not hindrance.
alanh
My Bike: zxr400 L racebike/R1

Post by alanh »

I had a gsxr shock on my old racebike, miles better than the standard shock and although it wasn't quite up to the job on the track it'll be ideal on a roadbike as it has plenty of adjustment. the zx6 shock would be the same i'd imagine and easier to fit.
zxr400L Race Bikes Competing in EDIASIA F400 and thunderbikes with BMCRC in 2016 and an RD125LC MK1 restoration project
antares
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by antares »

Looked at using GSXR 626 shock but most guys find that they have to adjust it to the lightest setting as it is much stiffer than the ZXR shock. Thats fine if you weigh 11 stone plus but my daughter weighs two tenths of nothing so it outside her adjustment range.
krystian579
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by krystian579 »

I know this post is old but for anyone interested i just fitted a 95 ZX9R shock to my L5. Its the one with separate reservoir so there is no battery box modification needed. All you need to do is get a zx9r top mount and grind off a tiny bit to make it fit, and its all ready to go! raised the bike a bit which is perfect for me being 180cm, and handles much better.
Blaine zxr
My Bike: Zxr 400 L5

Post by Blaine zxr »

So guys just wondering also what's a good shock to fit to my l5 the one atm is rock hard and sends my ass into air on bumps 😂 take into account I'm 10 and a half stone so a light shock perfably or one with good adjustments to suit
:excited :pmsl
greenhowta
My Bike: ZXR400 L5 (1995)

Post by greenhowta »

Has anyone ever used a YSS rear shock, I've located a new one on eBay at £235 for a ZXR400 L5. Can anyone recommend the YSS unit or otherwise, and are they a straight swap or are there further mods required ?
greenhowta
My Bike: ZXR400 L5 (1995)

Post by greenhowta »

I bought a Nitron NTR-1 for my 1995 L5, it fits perfectly without any mods required. I use th ebike for track days and this shock made a hugh improvement to handling.