636 front end

Moderator: Moderators

Banshee

636 front end

Post by Banshee »

has anyone fitted a 636 front end to a zxr400?
Banshee

Post by Banshee »

anyone?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

what do you mean by front end?? forks and yokes or just plastics?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Banshee

Post by Banshee »

forks as i have heard of them fitting into zxr400 L yolks or even the 636 complete fork setup inc yolks
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

ZX-6RR (636) USD's

Post by Mori Man »

My 636 USD's arrived yesterday :smt007 and the Gold is a near match for the reserviour bottles on my rear Ohlins :smt003

They are off an '05 machine and are in perfect condition bar a few marks on the tubes. I tried fitting them into my H model bottom clamp but no joy :smt005

Bottom clamp is 50mm and 636 fork tube is 51mm so some slight machining will be required to get it to fit :smt021 my top yolk fits a treat as the 636 tube reduces down to 49mm.

I will also need inserts made for the spindle clamps as the 636 uses a hollow 25mm job this will save the expence of a ZX-6 wheel and matching rear.

Any of the Tokico Radial calipers should do but I think I will hold off and get Brembos. :smt001

So if the L model forks were beefed up too 51mm you'll be good to go - just remember to measure from your bottom clamp to the centre of the axle pin (unloaded) to get the same ride height, as the 636 forks use less stanchion travel than the ZXR ones.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Steering Damper

Post by Mori Man »

I have a NHK steering damper kit for fitting onto the ZXR USD's that's sitting on my shelf waiting for it's turn to be cleaned up.

I noticed today another one with a 51mm ring clamp for the fork tube and that it is advertised for a SP model. So I got my one off the shelf and tried it for a fit on the 636 USD's - no joy.

So I think it is safe to assume that from 1991 the fork tubes on the ZXR are now 51mm therefore 636 tubes will fit the bottom yolk OK :smt004

You just need to decide on a ZX6 wheel or inserts to fit the ZXR back on.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly