forkin oil

Moderator: Moderators

the red shed

forkin oil

Post by the red shed »

i've pulled my forks apart and replaced the seals and am now faced with a problem,
the manual says fill with oil to 94mm from the top of the leg with no spring in it,exactly
how am i supposed to manage this as with the spring out there's an oofin great hole in the
bottom of the leg which any oil poured in at the top will run straight out the bottom?
cheers in advance
tk400
My Bike: ZXR400 , ZXR950

Re: forkin oil

Post by tk400 »

when you say a holw i asume u mean the bolt hole in the bottom of the leg that secures the dampening cartridge. leace the cartridge bolted in and just remove the spring....they are seperate items.......also well u are at it consider an oil weight change.....however dont assume all oil weights are equal among brands......get some info from the racers on here.........cheers

regards TK400
the red shed

Post by the red shed »

cheers for that fella,was going to try 10w oil
tk400

Post by tk400 »

No probs mate....I use 10w castrol in mine but i think 7.5 is better I am about 87 kgs......some oils allow u to mix grades to acheive what u want.

I personally think the choice of oil is more important when u do not have fully adj forks ( like SP ones) as the oil grade is then the only way to tune the rebound circuit....then u compensate with more or less compression once testing on road.....worth thinkin about anyway.....cheers

REgards TK400
the red shed

Post by the red shed »

i understand that preload is essentionaly "ride-height" adjustment but the other two are beyond me,
i'm going to stick with the stock settings and wait till my ability outweighs the bikes which will defo
take a while lolsign
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

Im not to clued up on suspension, but i was from the old school of harder is faster!, untill my race sorter dude set mine up for me and my weight...well softer than i thought would be good, ive got morris 5w in me sp forks with ohlins springos, they feel soft and the rear ohlins feels soft aswell....but when out on track its just right..
im 11st...i could get some more settins tomoz..when i take me engine out and have a looksie.drunk at the mo sick2u
tk400

Post by tk400 »

yeah id definately be keen to see what ohlins setup you run...spring number tc and oil weight...as I have rear shock im setting up at the moment..

you got any specs on your FCR jets needles etc.....as im still getting mine just right..........cheers