Lowering Kits for ZXR400?

Moderator: Moderators

markcooke
My Bike: Yamaha R1 2004

Lowering Kits for ZXR400?

Post by markcooke »

Hi,

I've just finished doing up an L2 ZXR400 for my wife who has just passed her test, but she is only 5' 1"
and can only just reach the floor, for her to ride it comfortably and with confidence she *wants* to at least rest both feet flat on the floor.

I've taken some padding out of the seat but it doesn't make a lot of difference to her, and I have suggested maybe trying to stretch her but she was against that idea ;).
Can anyone recomend any companies that do lowering kits for the ZXR. I can get some custom at a local bike workshop;
but would rather buy off the shelf if possible ( already spent way too much on it so far ;)).

Thanks in advance

Mark
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Lowering Kits for ZXR400?

Post by masterofinsanity »

how are you going to lower it? shorten the linkage? drop the forks a few mm? you've done the popular mod and taken some out of the seat.apart from let some air out of the tyres and stick some blocks under her boots what else can you do? ..........you thought of changing your missus? :smt002
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

best bet would be change of dog bones. I know a jack up kit exists but not so sure a lowering kit does. There is some adjustment on the top of the shock have a shufty of it.

FI international do lowering kits, but don't list one for the zxr. Perhaps the zx6r one would fit, best to give them a bell.
Andy
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

you can have new dog bones made up by almost any engineering comapany they'll just have to be longer than stock thus lowering the shock and seat hight.

Be warned tho it will really mess up the handeling and ground clearance (what it hasnt got much of to start with)
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

rene wrote:you can have new dog bones made up by almost any engineering comapany they'll just have to be longer than stock thus lowering the shock and seat hight.

Be warned tho it will really mess up the handeling and ground clearance (what it hasnt got much of to start with)
drop it through the yokes to compensate

Daytona do wedged boots for women, how about trying those?

Caz
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

still wont be as good as stock, you also lose ground clearance, and lets face it the zxr hasnt got alot to lose
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
hardhat_harry

Post by hardhat_harry »

I bought my ZXR from a woman who was barely 5 foot. She had the ride height on the shock down to its minimum and the foam removed out of the seat.

I've still got the seat and you can have it for £10.