Handles like a bag of crap. help!

Moderator: Moderators

Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Re: Handles like a bag of crap. help!

Post by Caz »

nitron shocks are good, but theres no need to fork out for a new shock. you can send your existing shock off to somewhere like Maxton and they will revalve and respring it to suit your weight. i think when i last asked, they were after £150 +vat

has any one else ridden your bike? do they also have similar issues with the handling? it would be worth getting a second opinion before you start spending money. You can make a fubared shock work better - as i said in my original post. Before you start spending money, i would get some second opinions, my rear shock is fubared, but i managed to get the bike set up so it worked quite well
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

as a first step if you haven't already - set the forks back to standard preload. mine was wound up when I got it - its amazing how much actually having some sag on the front end quickens up the steering.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
stef
My Bike: zxr400 L9

Post by stef »

in the process of setting it back to standard now.

when i wound out the preload on the forks before, it made the bike feel like it had a flat tyre lol.

to be honest i dont really know anyone that i would trust to ride my bike well enough without crashing it trying to test the handling.

anyone know a good way of unloading the suspension front and rear so i can see what the sags like?

also, if its 150 plus vat plus me posting it there to get some work done, i'd probably just buy a new shock. looks quite shiny and i do like shiny bits.
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

looking at the sag at the rear can be done easily enough with a friend, get them to hold the bike upright whilst you lift the rear and unload the suspension. The same principle can be applied at the front too.
You only need to unload the suspension and as you are setting the sag you need to easily be able to get the bike under its own weight again to see how much it has sagged.

i would have thought you would be looking IRO £400+ for a new shock - my other half has just bought a set of wilbers and the rear was £440 with adjustable compression and rebound damping.
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
stef
My Bike: zxr400 L9

Post by stef »

ok cool, will see if i can actually get my ass out of bed this weekend and sort it out.

basic nitron was 300 i think.

im not one for buying anything with lots of settings, as you can see im having enough problems with factory suspension biggrin

anyone one here close to me fancy a ride out at some point?

once i sort the bike and stop riding like a jew of course.
DazSH
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L

Post by DazSH »

wow i was reading this and thought i would check mine wow mine well out preload on my right fork 3 clicks and left fork 9 clicks . lol think i better check it all always thought it felt rough .

Also on the rear its set to 1 instead of 2. whats best for rear if it feels hard and bounces about.
ZXR 400 L1
4-2-1 Full stainless steel With titanium legal can.
Pipercross Filter
Crash bungs.
Needs a good tune
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

DazSH wrote: whats best for rear if it feels hard and bounces about.
Buy something other than a Kawasaki. :smt003
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Post by rover220 »

DazSH wrote:wow i was reading this and thought i would check mine wow mine well out preload on my right fork 3 clicks and left fork 9 clicks . lol think i better check it all always thought it felt rough .

Also on the rear its set to 1 instead of 2. whats best for rear if it feels hard and bounces about.
i think 4 gives more damping than 1 so try 2 or 3.