Handles like a bag of crap. help!

Moderator: Moderators

stef
My Bike: zxr400 L9

Handles like a bag of crap. help!

Post by stef »

Hi guys, had my zxr a while now and thought i'd sign up and start posting!

Anyway i do have a couple of questions about the suspension on the zxr.

Basically i used to ride an rs125, i could throw that thing around all day long, lovely bike.

was away from riding for a few years, then got the zxr.

lovely bike, im just having issues with the handling.

got some bt014's on it, which are much better than what was on it before, but im wondering if i should have got bt090's

basically, it used to steer wide in every corner, so i dialled in some more rebound i think it is on the forks, that helped a fair bit.

i found this guide: http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motor ... set-up.htm

did the cable tie thing on the front forks, softened them up a lot and changed a few other bits, which made the bike awful to ride, nearly lost the front end a few times so changed it all back straight away.

the bike still feels reluctant to turn, and when it does it sort of dives in so i have to correct myself all the time.

i'd like to jack the rear of the bike up as it feels quite low, will this ruin the handling more?

the fanny bands are beyond belief, i have no confidence in the bike which is a shame as i really do like it.

can anyone recommend a decent guide or something or basics that i could start from in terms of suspension?

i'd really like to get rid of these fanny bands and ride it how it should be ridden without fear of dumping it all the time.

anyway hope what ive written is not too confusing, cheers in advance for any help.

thanks.

*edit* The bike also feels like the front ends gonna wash out from me a lot, if that helps
carsounds_dan
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Re: Handles like a bag of crap. help!

Post by carsounds_dan »

check your tyre pressures, mine handled like shite when it had 25psi in the rear and 21 in the front... so changed them strait away and was great.
cheers
dan
The bike only goes as fast as you want it to...
...i know, it's great :D
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

what size tyres are on it...........

I hated riding two ZXRs recently both felt the same both felt strange at the front like it would tuck under at the front..........both had 120/60 on the front..............I have 120/70 on mine
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

hi, welcome to the forum, the zxr400 is the best handling bike i've ridden yet apart from my recent build, have you read this? http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/shocking.html
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

i had no idea out that guid baz, will have to have a read of that later!
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

rene wrote:i had no idea out that guid baz, will have to have a read of that later!
its in the workshop section on the main site mate, methinks i need to add a new navigation bar to the forum, seems a lot of the main site is missed.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

first of all - the BT014s are an absolutely horrible tyre IMO. I had a similar experience with my gixer and BT014s. i had absolutely no confidence in the bike, changed to something different - whole new bike.

first of all change the tyres.

secondly - the rear shock on my H! is fubared. So being a poor student, i looked for options which didnt cost anything.
Static sag - my H1 had far too much, So I wound up the preload and set it to 5mm. I also but a 5mm spacer above the shock, which has the same effect as dropping it through the yokes.
result - transformed bike!!
if you want to spend some money - send the shock off for a revalve and a respring. It will need it!!

suspension - set it all back to standard and then work from there, you never know who has messed around with it on second hand bikes

Caz
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Caz wrote:first of all - the BT014s are an absolutely horrible tyre IMO. I had a similar experience with my gixer and BT014s. i had absolutely no confidence in the bike, changed to something different - whole new bike.

first of all change the tyres.

secondly - the rear shock on my H! is fubared. So being a poor student, i looked for options which didnt cost anything.
Static sag - my H1 had far too much, So I wound up the preload and set it to 5mm. I also but a 5mm spacer above the shock, which has the same effect as dropping it through the yokes.
result - transformed bike!!
if you want to spend some money - send the shock off for a revalve and a respring. It will need it!!

suspension - set it all back to standard and then work from there, you never know who has messed around with it on second hand bikes

Caz
Me thinks theres some sound advise there
stef

Post by stef »

Thanks for the replies.

I did attempt to read that guide, but it just confused me.

i really didnt want to shell out another £200 on tyres when these are pretty much brand new.

i only really use the bike as a weekend toy so seems a shame to waste these tyres.

can anyone reccomend decent tyres then. had bt090's on my rs and loved them

ive heard that some michelins are really good?

as i said im not too bothered about mileage as i only use it at weekends.

tyre pressures are fine and they are standard size.

would i be better off buying a new rear shock?

i guess i'll have to spend a weekend setting all this sag stuff up then see how it is.

hopefully i wont mess it up again!

thanks
zxr_oli
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Daytona 675

Post by zxr_oli »

I know it's a simple question, but do you use the coutner-steering technique?
stef

Post by stef »

lol, i'll say yes seeing as you cant steer a bike without it.

its definately to do with suspension and tyres,

will hav eto set it to standard, see if i can get some new tyres and a new rear shock from somewhere.
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

im not convinced it will be yr tyres making it run wide, unless there profile is knackered. Ive got them tyres on my r1, there not up to racetec or corsa pro's, but there not a bad tyre.
make sure you aint got any weeping seals on your forks, and the rear shock probs will be long past its best efforts, 6r shocks are probs the cheapest sollution, if not about 150 quid from maxton to sort yrs( aint been for a while ,so not sure how much)

like everyone says, put it all back to standard, ride it, and go from there. try winding the rear height adjuster all the way out,ride it. drop the front 5 mill thru the top yoke. then ride it again, and see if it heading in the right direction your after.

ask how much for this dudes shock maybee? that will help no end
http://www.motoforum.net/index.php?showtopic=26423
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

as much as I hate the 014s, i dont think your problems are entirely due to them. They are not confidence inspiring, so your lack of confidence in the bike may be attributed to them, but feeling like the front end is going to wash out isnt.

Dont want to point out the obvious, but the ZXR400 is not a RS125, it has considerably more weight, more power, wider tyres and cannot be chucked around as easily.

where abouts are you based stef? maybe someone could take a look at it for you.

Caz
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
stef

Post by stef »

I know its more weighty than the rs,

all im looking for is it to corner properly, like it should.

been looking at the nitron shock, at £300

they any good then?

the guys for sale is a race shock, dont wanna dabble with that, standard road shock is all i need!

based in cambridge, i'd be up for a ride out once ive got it sorted.

wanted some new leathers, but i guess i'll get a new rear shock, get the oil in the forks changed as i dont know when that was last done, and then set it all to standard and go from there.

theres not much point trying to set up a fubared shock i take it?
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Post by rover220 »

before you do anything set it back to standard.

when i got mine, the fork preload and damping were different from fork to fork.