front end

Moderator: Moderators

Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: front end

Post by Ballsout Racing »

I used the whole zx6r front end, in the 400 yokes. Doing that you lose the speedo drive though as has been discussed earlier in the thread. I really don't have a solution for that as mine's a race bike so no need for one, but again, it has been dicussed.

The forks are waisted between the top and bottom yokes, as they are 25mm longer so you will probably need a 1mm sleeve made up to clamp the clipons too depending how far through the yokes you have the forks poking, you'll lose 25mm of the bit where the zx6 clipons clamp too if you have the 25mm showing above the yokes. There may be enough there, but I have mine a further 15 mm through so lose even more. Having said that, if you use the 400 clipons, they bolt to the yoke anyway, so probably not so much of an issue even if you lose a bit of meat to clamp too.

Sorry, that's a bit of a waffle confuddled , hope you understand it :smt001
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Post by tobomoto »

i had a bit of a think about a digital speedo and found some on the net. then trashed my bike the next day :smt013 . think im going to get it to standard then think about another bike.
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
chris675
My Bike: triumph street tripl

Post by chris675 »

if any one is interested i have started doing this conversion using the original wheel.

i have had spacers made up so the spindal fits....but the spacers on each side of the wheel makes it too wide to fit between the fork bottom. so it will be a case of taking approx 1mm off each one (very carefully). looking at the discs with it all roughly in place it looks like they may line up pretty much spot on, just need a few washers to space the radial brakes out a little as the 400 discs are slightly larger.
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Ballsout Racing »

That's really useful Chris. I presume that you had to use different wheel bearings to accomdate the larger diameter axle? (I think it's larger anyway :smt017 )
chris675

Post by chris675 »

I used the zxr 400 axle/spindle and had spacers fitted into the holes in the new fork bottoms. the spacers on either side of front wheel that keep it centrally located needed approx 2mm (don't quote me i can't remember now) taking off each one as the gap between the bottom of the forks is slightly less. also the radial brakes need spacers making up as the zxr 400 discs are bigger (next job) then the zx6r.Image
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

how much too big are the discs ?

H discs are 10mm smaller and will bolt straight to the wheel.. might be a simpler way forward

looking good though.. still in two minds as to whether i'll go the same way.
chris675

Post by chris675 »

you can just use a few washers if you can't be bothered making spacers, but i think it will look neater with a spacer. (plus i can't afford to buy new discs at the moment)
dazzx10r
My Bike: ZX10r race bike, ZXR400L9

Post by dazzx10r »

This is an interesting thread, I race a ZX10r in Derby Phoenix, and my son has a ZXR400L9 which we are just building into a race bike. I am fancying putting a radial fork setup onto the 400, I've had a look at my forks on the ZX10r and I'm just going to go and see if the front end will fit the 400's yokes complete with the wheel (BST Carbon!) :smt004 . I will keep you updated.