Strange front suspension

Moderator: Moderators

kermit the frog
My Bike: zxr400 L9

Strange front suspension

Post by kermit the frog »

hi, i have a zxr 400 l9 2001. i have noticed that my front fork settings dont add up ?????

the front fork rebound dambing adjuster settings (little gold screw ontop of the forks) have different nubers of clicks.

As you are on the bike, the left fork has 30 clicks out and the right has 15. Kawasaki say they both should only have 12. does this mean that they are not standard forks, are they broken or ......

i have decided not to go with the recommended 7 clicks out aswell as both forks are diiferent. i have gone for exaclty half way on both.... 7 clicks out for the right fork and fifteen for the left fork. i have tried them at various settings and this feels the best bt i would like some help incase i am totally ballsing it up, i dnt want to crask me baby! :smt010

any help would be great

cheers kermit
never give up!
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Re: Strange front suspension

Post by rover220 »

something is defienetly wrong imo.

maybe if both had the same number you could guess that they may be uprated but when they differ that much id say something is broken.
kermit the frog

it does make a difference to handling like it should, they both turn at the same rate aswell though approx 1/5 of a turn per click and they stop at all they way in and out.

the other thing is the left one, which turns the most, when it is screwed all the way in is recessed into the fork whereas the right one is proud of the fork, when they are both screwed all the way out they are both dead level with each other,

i think it is probably a diiferent adjuster someone has put in for some reason, maybe a racer??? or someone has bought somethin from a scrapyard and bought the wrong thing.
never give up!
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

this thread here may be your answer...
http://www.motoforum.net/index.php?showtopic=26660
kermit the frog

sound cheers, has anybody got an idea of what i should do know, i know bits of mechanics but ive herd suspension is a bitch to play with so what should i do with the settings whilst i wait to get it fixed,,,,must do research on that.

question, does that mean its adjusted or broken ----- can you re-adjust it back to what it was.
anybody know any racers here i can chat to.
never give up!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

we got the zxr400 racing news section....

id be tempted to send them to get them setup for your weight by someone like Maxton, they will also sort them out while they are at it plus you get the bonus of a sorted front end.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

have you read the suspension guidelines in the workshop section?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.