what the experts say, .. front forks

Moderator: Moderators

zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

what the experts say, .. front forks

Post by zimm »

stolen from another forum, below are the replies from each of the big names when asked what to do with zxr400 L forks.

maxton

The forks look externally very similar to the 750, but internally there are quite a lot of difference - it is a much cheaper fork inside. One of the big problems with the ZXR400 forks is that the oil is metered at the top of the fork. We modify the forks so that the oil is metered at the bottom of the fork, this gives the fork a much smoother action. We also increase the rebound damping and reduce the compression damping, this helps the bike turn into corners and hold a better line exiting corners. We also fit harder springs to suit your rider weight to stop the forks diving under braking. "

The cost of the conversion is £250 plus VAT and carriage. Seals would be £20 plus Vat and bushes if needed would be £20 plus VAT.

k-tech

For your forks I would recommend one of our 20SSK piston kits. These comprise of complete new compression and rebound piston assemblies with our own design CNC machined piston's, new piston holders, piston rods, shim stacks, check valves and new rebound adjustment circuits to give a much finer and wider range of rebound adjustment.This kit was designed for road and track day use to enhance the damping efficiency of the standard fork and give greater confidence to the rider. The cost of the piston kit is £260.00 inc VAT. Depending on the weight of the rider and the O.E. fitment we would also offer optional rate fork springs to suit rider weight and the discipline the bike was being used for. These optional rate replacement fork springs are £65.00 per pair inc VAT. To fit all of the above we charge £85.00 inc VAT this includes a complete strip and rebuild of the forks but does not include any charge for oil which is £10.00 per litre inc VAT or any service parts needed such as oil seals or bushes. These would be inspected when the forks were dismantled and replaced where necessary.

MCTechnics

Hello there.Really your two choices are new fork springs and oilfor £145.00 with a couple of small mods. Or a re-valvewhich would start from £325.00 as there would be quitea few parts required to improve the rebound side ofdamping. Hope this ok, Darren.

Kais
the zxr400l forks are very basic and apart from a spring change and thicker oil, the only other option is for a complete rebuild making completely new pistons and shim packs, for which you are looking at £5-600,
cheers nick
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: what the experts say, .. front forks

Post by cargo »

There is a damper cartridge from one of the Fireblade models that fits the ZXR fork and with proper set up makes a huge difference.
Next time I speak to my suspension expert I'll ask or you can try for yourself.............

Pro Link Racing Services

Pro Link Racing Services
9 Cardy Road
Greyabbey
NEWTOWNARDS
BT22 2LS (MAP)

Contact Mr Clarence Bell
Telephone 028 4278 8854
Fax 028 4278 8841
Email info@ohlinsireland.com