Moderator: Moderators

U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Bloody Fork Seals

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

Hi Guys,

Right it might be a silly question but is there a right way that the Fork Seals need to go round??? I've read and had a look at the 'Fork Rebuild' page but I cant quite make out which way round it goes?

Cheers
stug
My Bike: Yamaha R1

Re: Bloody Fork Seals

Post by stug »

If this makes any sense to you it should go with the closed end facing out.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by hciR »

I'm doing mine atm as well, I kinda guessed but by what stug said I think I done them right. A word of warning assuming you haven't done it yet: I've had to improvise a bit due to lack of 'special' tools. The seals were a bit of a pain to get in. I sawed a spare washer in half and used that against the seal so I could hammer it with a screwdriver. Also when it comes to doing the rod nut back up I'm gonna make a tool to compress the spring because it's quite hard!
U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

Clever I think I got it. I've done a set before but never really thought about it really but it started leaking not so long after I did it so I thought I'd better check before doing them again.

The last time I did it for the compression (it took ages to do it last time) I got my mate to push the fork against a wall while I tried to screw the allen bolt in. Might think of getting a compression tool prob make it a damn sight easier.

Cheers guys anyways.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by hciR »

I might buy one aswel seeing as making one is a pain in the butt. I've done it a different way to you though, I've already got the bolt in the bottom but need to compress the spring to get the top cap back on.