fork seals!!!

Moderator: Moderators

nc73
My Bike: zxr400 L

fork seals!!!

Post by nc73 »

So in the process of replacing the fork seal and I can't separate the tube from the outer sleeve. already removed the bolt at the bottom of the fork and took the internals out. I tried so many things I think i f**k up the sleeve where the seal sits. i suppose I can fix it once I some how get the seal out. Any suggestions??? I might just give up and take it to the garage.
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

Re: fork seals!!!

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

Just yank to 2 parts away from each other as hard as you can! depanding on when the seals were last changed it may take a while to get apart but keep trying. Just make sure the internals are out, the bottom bolt out and the dust seals are slid along to the bottom of the fork well out of the way.

Regards

Rich
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by hciR »

If you have the internals and the sust seal/ retainer clip out:- Hold the outer tube in one hand and and the inner tube in the other, push the inner tube into the outer tube as far as you can. Now in one swift tug pull the two apart, you have to really pull them apart quickly rather than pull on it fully extended.
nc73

Post by nc73 »

hciR wrote:If you have the internals and the sust seal/ retainer clip out:- Hold the outer tube in one hand and and the inner tube in the other, push the inner tube into the outer tube as far as you can. Now in one swift tug pull the two apart, you have to really pull them apart quickly rather than pull on it fully extended.
Yup did that many times, even had it mounted on a vise. It didn't even budge a bit. No idea when it was last changed.
nc73

Post by nc73 »

so was thinking of getting a used set on ebay, found one that was in better shape than mine. might buy it as it doesn't need the seals replaced. my next seal change will be by someone else!
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

Only other thing I can think of: If you haven't already done it you can remove the seal from where it sits and slide it out of the outer tube (towards the bottom of the fork), and put some oil in between the inner and outer tube to lube things up a bit. Might make it a tiny bit easier to pull them apart. You definately have removed the wavey metal clip that sits behind the dust seal? I wouldn't go and buy new forks just yet!
nc73

Post by nc73 »

hciR wrote:Only other thing I can think of: If you haven't already done it you can remove the seal from where it sits and slide it out of the outer tube (towards the bottom of the fork), and put some oil in between the inner and outer tube to lube things up a bit. Might make it a tiny bit easier to pull them apart. You definately have removed the wavey metal clip that sits behind the dust seal? I wouldn't go and buy new forks just yet!
actually the really tiny screw with the hex head won't loosen, appears to be stripped or i just don't have the right size hex, and I have many. Yup I read the instructions on here and the manual. Have taken everything out. I remember doing this on a honda ages ago and only needed a mechanic to take the bottom bolt out and everything else was a breeze. This one I can take the bottom bolt out easily just can't separate the inner from the out! I think I will make something that involves two car jacks to separate the two. The fork on ebay is only around 95pounds. If I took it to a garage they will probably charge more if they can't get it out the conventional way. I also damaged the out tube some, not pretty I tell you. I try to do everything myself but this will involve too much time that I don't really have.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

Oh I didn't mean to actually take the bottom feet off, just slide the seal out of the outer tube in case it was stuck somehow, probs won't make much difference though. It must be that your bushes are damaged. If you slide the outer tube right to the bottom, can you remove the inner bush from the inner tube? I can't remeber how much space there is.
nc73

Post by nc73 »

hciR wrote:Oh I didn't mean to actually take the bottom feet off, just slide the seal out of the outer tube in case it was stuck somehow, probs won't make much difference though. It must be that your bushes are damaged. If you slide the outer tube right to the bottom, can you remove the inner bush from the inner tube? I can't remeber how much space there is.
Just afraid I'd damage something else since there isn't much space. I agree it must be the bush.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

whereabouts are you based NC73?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
nc73

Post by nc73 »

Galston, half an hour from Glasgow. Anyways decided to buy the ones off ebay. I really messed up the left fork. It had some pitting before so I suppose it needs replaced anyways. Might put the other side on ebay. Hopefully the ones I bought off ebay doesn't leak even though the guy said it wasn't leaking. On top of that I had to spend money on a new GPS for work since I don't know the roads well enough. Gonna be skint after my holiday to America!