SP fork cartridge swap?

Moderator: Moderators

AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

SP fork cartridge swap?

Post by AFM327 »

Anyone swapped cartridges? Was re-reading the magazine piece on the RMKD bike and noticed they had put GSXR cartridges in theirs. Anyone put in Ohlins carts or the like? I'm due to have the forks serviced and thought I might upgrade them while they're off the bike.
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: SP fork cartridge swap?

Post by Ballsout Racing »

I know of someone who has. Steve Jordan of http://www.stevejordanmotorcycles.co.uk/ Motorcycles did it for him :smt002
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

Ballsout Racing wrote:I know of someone who has. Steve Jordan of http://www.stevejordanmotorcycles.co.uk/ Motorcycles did it for him :smt002

What did he do, GSXR, Ohlins?
will#224
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: L1 racer

Post by will#224 »

I was looking at some srad gsxr forks and externally they look very very similar.

Maybe they were near enough a straight swap?

I wondered if none sp forks could be made 'sp' just by inserting a cartridge fork and drilling the fork leg to fit the compression adjuster
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Ballsout Racing »

AFM327 wrote:
Ballsout Racing wrote:I know of someone who has. Steve Jordan of http://www.stevejordanmotorcycles.co.uk/ Motorcycles did it for him :smt002

What did he do, GSXR, Ohlins?
Ohlins. IIRC it required some machining to get them to fit.

edit: Actually, they were standard, not SP forks; but I guess it would be the same?
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

I've got a couple sets of gsxr cartridges I'm going to try out. Let you all know how it works out.
mick41zxr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400sp

Post by mick41zxr »

SP cartridges are same as standard. GSXR cartridges are a big improvement in the rebound circuit & relatively easy to fit, need to be shortened 10mm. Have done these & a couple of 25mm kits into ZXR's. A bit of thought anything can be made to fit.
Regards MB
ian rycroft
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400

Post by ian rycroft »

mick41zxr wrote:SP cartridges are same as standard. GSXR cartridges are a big improvement in the rebound circuit & relatively easy to fit, need to be shortened 10mm. Have done these & a couple of 25mm kits into ZXR's. A bit of thought anything can be made to fit.
Regards MB
can you tell me what year and model gsxr cartridges you can use,i have a set of zxr400 sp forks and one wont damp,so would like to try them,thanks,ian
mick41zxr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400sp

Post by mick41zxr »

1996-2001 these have a 12mm damper rod, so when you shorten them take the tops down to fit the zxr fork caps.
The larger damping rod pushes more fluid through the cartridge & rebound needle is in the rebound valve mounting boss not the cap, so a big improvement over the zxr cartridge.
Regards,
MB
ian rycroft
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400

Post by ian rycroft »

thanks for the reply MB,Ian