gsxr rear shock?

Moderator: Moderators

murphy the destroyer
My Bike: zxr h2

gsxr rear shock?

Post by murphy the destroyer »

I've heard rumours that gixxer rear shocks can be fitted, anyone know what model/year of gsxr and if any modifications are needed? any help greatly appreciated! :smt001
murphy the destroyer

Re: gsxr rear shock?

all sorted now :smt002
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

theres is a thread here explaining that i think, what were your findings?
murphy the destroyer

I've got one from a K6, an ebay bargain :smt003
From my online research it seems that any of the K series shocks will fit with minor trimming of the battery tray but i haven't yet fitted it, roll on the weekend!
murphy the destroyer

I now have a gixxer k6 shock fitted! it wasn't that easy tho......

The main problem being the gixxer shock is fitted with M10 bolts and the zxr uses M12, it was easy enogh to drill out the aluminium bottom mount but the top is a rubber bush.
I ended up pressing out both bushes and using the zxr one in the gixxer shock, but it didn't fit...
The zxr bush is about 0.5mm bigger than the hole in the gixxer shock but i carefully cut a slit in the outer shell and managed to press it in- just!
The zxr ride height adjuster then could be fitted and the new shock bolted straight in. I did trim a little off the battery tray but once the ride height was set back to standard the reservoir sat just underneath so it wasn't actually neccessary.

Once fitted i adjusted the ride height to 6mm higher than standard and adjusted the spring preload to give 8mm static sag and 30mm riding sag with plenty of room to adjust either way (so it seems the standard gixxer spring is the right rate for the zxr too).

The bike now turns in much quicker because its sitting up where its supposed to be and it doesn't wallow mid corner like it used to with the knackered original unit!

Now i just need to fix the pair of pogo sticks on the front end.........!

I've got a few pics of the problems i encountered if anyone's interested let me know :smt001
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

ye post some pictures would be good to see what you did