bugger fork leg / what fork oil to use ???

Moderator: Moderators

reds
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR 400

bugger fork leg / what fork oil to use ???

Post by reds »

had a great day fettling the bike, ol, change, sparks, bled all the coolant, and brakes, got the fork out, ready to replace the seals as i think one has gone - cant find what grade of fork oil i need to use in the manual though !

anyone ???

i am hoping that this will sort the issue i have been havig with left turns, have checked bushes / headstock and they are both fine - basically one fork leg seems OK, the other (which seems to be leaking more / has a heavy sludge build up) compresses s, and then springs back really quickly, with no dampiner . there also seems to be a couple of mil play in it - and it kind of makes a grinding noise, as though the spring isnt situated properly - whereas the other leg is rock solid, no noise etc....

any ideas of anything else it could be ? or would a fork service as per baz's guide do the trick ???

also - did the silicon sealer on the inlets, seems to have sorted the trick, thanks for the info on that one !!!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: bugger fork leg / what fork oil to use ???

Post by masterofinsanity »

chapter 12 of the manual mate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
reds
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by reds »

thanks baz - going to give it a go tommorw with your seal replacement guide !
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

best of luck to you. :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
reds
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by reds »

piece of piss doing the first one, thoghut to myself - dont know what all the hassle is about !

came to do the second leg, went to undo the allen bolt from the bottom of the leg, and it just keeps on turning, with nothing loosening !!! figured that means its pretty buggered ???cant think of a way to sepearte to two any other way - anyone got any ideas ???
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400 track, vfr800 road

Post by Davw »

It isnt buggered it is just that the internals are turing as they are prone to do. An "Air gun" might do it or alternatively there is a special tool (see manual) which presumably the local Kawa shop will have
Fatspanner Racing/[/size][/color]
reds
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by reds »

is it too excessive to drill the bolt out ? just to get them apart, and then pop a new one in ????

also in terms of the seals, which way around is correct ? the ones I have just fitted are differnet to the ones currently in there - i have fitted so the solid section faces up towards the top of the fork, with the other section (with a circular recess / spring around it) facing downwards (towards dust guard)
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by hciR »

If you have the fork together you could try compressing/decompressing the fork slightly, might put enough pressure on the internals to stop them spinning. I wouldn't get the drill out just yet.
reds
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by reds »

wasn't having any of it, had to drill in the end - dont know if the stanchions bent / warped ? when its in there and you move the fork up and down it grinds / rubs on the side - is this normal ? the other one doesnt seem to be doing it, regardless of the fact theres no oil in there ?

also when i come to refil it tonight the manual says to use 421ML (+-4ML) - Do i just measure it into a jug and tip it in ? or do i need a syringe thingy like it says in ther manual

thanks

reds
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

use a jug mate :smt002
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by hciR »

I take it you've removed the spring/internals and are sliding the outer tube over the inner tube (stanchion) with the seals, bushes etc still in place?
If this is the case can you hear/see where abouts it's grinding? It should just glide smoothly over the seal without any noise, but if it's bent then the stanchion could rub against the inside of the outer tube. Or it could be that one of the bushes has become unseated and is rubbing on the outer tube.