Moderator: Moderators

U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Bloody Fork Seals!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

Hey Guys,

I've got a bit of a problem which has been going on for a while now. My forks seem to leak all the time especially the LHS. I've replaced about 3-4 seals now and each one has had the same problem starting to get a bit tired of spending money on it and wasting my time.

Does anyone know any reasons for this or have any suggestions that could possibly sort this problem out before I have to bite the bullet and go get them sorted by a mechanic?????

Thanks
Ciaran #65
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Bloody Fork Seals!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by masterofinsanity »

are your stanchions pitted and ripping the seals, are you fitting the seals the right way round and seating properly? the other thing is are you putting clingfilm over the fork leg when reassembling so the bushes don't rip the seal?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

Well i'm not too sure how to test for pitting but I dont think they are! I fitted the seals so that the writing 'NIKONE DO41 54 11 4' is at the bottom pointing towards the ground. Well I put electrical tape over the groove and I think I put the bushes on last.

Would you think that might be the reason? I cleaned the whole station before putting it back together as well just to make sure there were no little bits.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

where are you getting the seals from?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Is the leg straight?

Have you got the right spacers in the front wheel? As when tightening it could be pulling the forks together.

Are you tightening the spindle too tightly?

Just something to think about there!

Pitting is spots of the chrome that have been damaged by rust, it gets underneath the chrome and bubbles it, great for ruining seals.
U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

I'm getting the seals from Busters

I dont think that I'm tightening it up too much as it should probably go alot tighter. But never really considered that so I'll have a check and for pitting too but I didnt see any signs of that tho.
The leg is straight, right spacers.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

get some genuine kawasaki seals, im sure someone else here has bought them from there before and had them not lasting too long before they go again. They dug deep for kwak ones and the problem stopped.