Bent handlebar and MOT - 2

Moderator: Moderators

olionel
My Bike: 98' ZXR400

Bent handlebar and MOT - 2

Post by olionel »

Hello;

Found a similar post to this and my problem is of similar type. It appears that the physical steering stop (shown on image below) is very very slightly bent but straightening is not going to fix "trapping my thumb at full lock" problem. I think the handlebar its self is a lil bit bent too

So in order to straighten the handlebar itself I took the break lever off, the switches and throttle cable assembly off. Undid bolt 92150A (in big red circle) but the bar seems to be physically restricted by a pin or something. There is a small pin underneath that stops me from rotating it. But is not designed to stop me from pulling it out as it has a slit where it's meant to slide out. I can pull the bar out about 5mm max then it stops.. something is not letting it move any further. On the diagram it does not show a physical restraint inside 46012A. What am I doing wrong? Is my easiest option undoing 92150 then looseining 120 spinnig round and re-nip it again leaving 92150 out? Is leaving out 92150 safe ????

Thanks for your help in advance!
Oli
Thanks!
Oli
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: Bent handlebar and MOT - 2

Post by zimm »

you are doing nothing wrong.. the bar wont come out because ... its bent !

yank it out (be forceful its a bar, not a tube) then straighten it in a vice or something.

as for the lockstops... if one is bent, and you cant bend it back (it'd probably break anyway) grind them both off, then drill and tap the bottom yoke and fit some M5-M6 cap-head bolts through the yoke, (the heads will act as the lockstops) and finish off with a nylock nut on the underside.

simples
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Bent handlebar and MOT - 2

Post by cargo »

Use some vise grips to hold the bar and if need be use the vise grip as something to hit with a hammer to tap the bar out.