Which Way Round?

Moderator: Moderators

Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: Which Way Round?

Post by Tirpitz »

And here you can see how the lock adjustment has limited the damper travel.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Your right at the very extreme of the travel on the damper so I assume you'd suggest the next longest damper for others to use if anyone else wanted to fit one ?

I restricted the lock on my race bikes by drilling a hole in the lug on the yoke on each side and putting a M6 cap head through it. Work fine on a race bike but it would be a little restrictive for road use but you could file down the head of the screw untill it gave the desired result............I mention this because if I were you I'd keep an close eye on the chemical metal in case it goes AWOL.............at scrutineering they tend to hit the lock stops and chemical metal would soon break I think.

I assume the damper is floating on it's wobbly joints at every point from lock to lock ?

Very bling :smt003

All I have on my ZXRs are Sprint dampers which by the way are 100% fine so far...............got Ohlins on the 600 and a spare one somewhere along with a Maxton one too in a box
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

cargo wrote:Your right at the very extreme of the travel on the damper so I assume you'd suggest the next longest damper for others to use if anyone else wanted to fit one ?

I restricted the lock on my race bikes by drilling a hole in the lug on the yoke on each side and putting a M6 cap head through it. Work fine on a race bike but it would be a little restrictive for road use but you could file down the head of the screw untill it gave the desired result............I mention this because if I were you I'd keep an close eye on the chemical metal in case it goes AWOL.............at scrutineering they tend to hit the lock stops and chemical metal would soon break I think.

I assume the damper is floating on it's wobbly joints at every point from lock to lock ?
Before recommending the next longest damper I'd want to be sure it would fit. Thing is, there's not that much spare space ahead of the damper up to the headlight on the road bike so I'm a little worried that the 150mm damper is going to be too long to fit. If it will fit then that's definitely the one to go for but I'd recommend prospective purchasers going to a shop with their bike and sizing it up first before parting with a wad. And let us all know the verdict :smt003

Good point about drilling the yokes. IME chemical metal is pretty tough stuff though and as it is going to subject to compression rather than, say, snapping forces by being hit I'd be tentatively confident it will stand it. It's certainly not the sort of stuff that cracks like glue. I'll definitely be watching it and if it doesn't stand the course a drilling I will go. I have knocked it a few times already shunting the bike in and out of the shed and so far so good.

Yes, damper floats fully throughout the entire travel. I double checked this after you flagged that up for me before :smt002
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Excellent good result :smt003
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

Wheel weights work well on the stops too.