zxr400 fork seal replacement

Moderator: Moderators

jakep400
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400

zxr400 fork seal replacement

Post by jakep400 »

I have looked at several sites who suggest the usd forks just come apart with a couple of tugs the same as normal forks once you have removed the internals and the locking circlip above the fork seal, i have found this not to be after i renewed my sons fork seals,
if you try the pulling apart using the slide hammer method ,the inner tube guide bush which has a nylon coating starts to go inside the outer tube guide bush which also has a nylon coating, this causes the forks to jam together and in the process eventually removes the nylon coating off of both the bushes, this then requires two new bushes on each leg at about eight pounds each, two in each fork leg,
the method i used on the second fork was to remove the internals and then hold the stanchion in my vice between two blocks of wood, i was then able to heat up the aluminium end wheel/mudguard holder and remove the small star drive grub screw , i then heated some more to break the loctite seal, you can then screw the end off of the stanchion, once this is off you can slide the stanchion through the fork tube this the leaves the fork tube with the oil seal and outer tube guide bush complete, and the inner tube guide bush is ok on the fork stanchion, it is then an easy job to remove the oil seal from the fork tube ,the end can then be loctited and screwed back on the fork stanchion , it is then just a case of building up the seals and tube guide bushes on the stanchion and inserting in the fork tube
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: zxr400 fork seal replacement

Post by CaNsA »

Or you can do it "my way" :D

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10917
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
jakep400
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400

Re: zxr400 fork seal replacement

Post by jakep400 »

yeah the thought did cross my mind , but i find its
always better to put a bit of thought into it so you have some spares for future repairs, i think the bit you have left would make an expensive door stop :pmsl