Cracking noise from front end

Moderator: Moderators

georgarasx
My Bike: ZXR 400L

Cracking noise from front end

Post by georgarasx »

Good evening guys, I have my zxr for quite some time now and i have recently ghanged the tyres. As from the I have this problem. When I use the front brake hard or when I get through a bump, I can hear a loud cracking noise coming from the top of the bike' s front end. What could this sound be related to? I can also hear it while i accelerate after breaking... Pretty annoying
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Cracking noise from front end

Post by banner001 »

might be headstock bearings?

get a couple of friends to lift the front of the bike up by the handlebars and see if you can pull the front wheel towards and away from you, if there is movement its probably headstock bearings, or a loose yoke nut.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
georgarasx

Post by georgarasx »

This is what I was thinking. I lifted the bike and tried really hard to make the noise but it had no effect, the front system isn't moving. Anyway, i took the upper plate out and greased the bearings. Could the noise possibly be coming from the rear. It echoes through the whole frame. Before sometime I had a blown headgasket too and the situation is really frustrating... Anyway, I keep doing whatever I can... Love my bike!!!
EDIT: sound still there, wander if it could be coming from the forks....
400y
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400H1 GSXR600

Post by 400y »

Could be the brake discs. Flex them and see how much movement there is.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

^ was gonna be my next thing, check fluid levels too, could be a small airlock
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
georgarasx

Post by georgarasx »

Good morning and thank you for the suggestions (didn't expect for so much attention in a forum, I am new to these). Just tried to flex the disks, can't flex them for sure and they don't move in a way they shouldn' t, although some minor sound comes from them, when I pull them. I also changed the brake fluid. Problem still there, but: After some riding I have noticed that there is more sound as the bike rises temperature. This is notable when encountering bumpy roads. I think I can feel the cracking in my right hand, holding the handle bar.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

random idea, could it be the pads moving in the calipers? if you slam on the brake hard and there is some movement im guessing the could move and hit inside the caliper?
georgarasx

Post by georgarasx »

ross46 wrote:random idea, could it be the pads moving in the calipers? if you slam on the brake hard and there is some movement im guessing the could move and hit inside the caliper?
I don't think so, because, the sound is still there when I open the throtlle after the breaking or when I go through a bump on the road without touching the breaks.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Hmm, try checking all the suspension and subframe bolts, I had 3 subframe bolts missing, scared me when I saw it
georgarasx

Post by georgarasx »

Bad one with the missing bolts... I checked, all there. I messed up a bit with the front fork settings taking them back in the factory preset and the sound is less annoying but there. It's a cricking now if I could describe it :-P the guy I bought the bike had them messed up for good.