Headstock Bearings!!

Moderator: Moderators

tomrowley20287
My Bike: zxr400 h1

Headstock Bearings!!

Post by tomrowley20287 »

The damn lower headstock bearing is stuck on the stem!

Having read through here I believe I can just force it off?

Do I need to remove the stem to have the yokes powder coated?
I haven't really got the equipment to press it in and out...
tomrowley20287

Re: Headstock Bearings!!

Post by tomrowley20287 »

Also the plastic cup that sits over the top bearing got damaged in the process of removal..

Are these hard to get hold of or can I get them from any where?
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

For what it's worth: you'll have to smash the bearing off. I use a hammer and cold chisel - you won't be using it again since it is the bottom bearing on the headstock which takes the weight of the front end and is the one to wear out. The upper bearing just stops the assembly slopping about. The powder coating people will mask off any area not to be coated, so you can leave the stem in place. Oh - under the bottom bearing is a grease seal which is very likely to be damaged when removing the bearing, so you will need one of them. The upper "protective shield" you mentioned prevents water ingress, and it depends how badly it had been damaged. As I recall, removal of the upper yoke has to be done with the forks in the right position so that this shield is not damaged by the ignition barrel. If a small piece has been chipped off, it should be possible to re-use. Just position it with the chip under the yoke so that water is very unlikely to ingress. If you're used to messing with bikes then you should be able to judge the suitability for re-use. Failing that: CRADLEY!!!
tomrowley20287

Post by tomrowley20287 »

Cheers!

I'll get physical with the bottom bearing tomorrow. The plastic part is smashed up, it's no good for re-use.

Cradleys it is...