Lower bearing rubber seal removal?

Moderator: Moderators

Smokingviper1
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr 400 L6

Lower bearing rubber seal removal?

Post by Smokingviper1 »

Hi folks

Trying to rebuild my head stock, the lower bearing is securely on the stem and having some trouble getting it off, the lower rubber gasket underneath the bearing, can that be removed over the bearing? Also have a seized lower bearing cup which I will try heat up and hammer out

Many thanks
ZXR 400 L5
watsonm359
My Bike: ZXR400H2

Re: Lower bearing rubber seal removal?

Post by watsonm359 »

Hi,

Not the easiest of jobs, however I found it that by breaking the bearings away from the main carrier they sit in and then using a drift and hammer, I slowly tapped away until on the lip of the carrier until it was free. Takes a little patience, but works well.

Good luck and hopefully you get it sorted.
Smokingviper1
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr 400 L6

Post by Smokingviper1 »

Did you take the lower rubber seal below the lower bearing off before tapping bearing carrier off? Like can it lift off around the bearing?
ZXR 400 L5
watsonm359
My Bike: ZXR400H2

Post by watsonm359 »

My lower seal/cover was knackered anyway, so it made no difference. However, the seal is not flexible enough to remove first over the bearing so you will have to leave it in place. Personally, I’d try and remove the bearing first and if you don’t damage the seal then great, but being as the bearing is going to be removed and with the age of the bike, I would replace it regardless.