Headstick bearings wtf

Moderator: Moderators

Morgaine

Headstick bearings wtf

Post by Morgaine »

Hi all

I'm trying to change the headstock bearings on my L1. It appears I need to take off my ignition but I haven't got a tool to fit the gubbins holding it on - (I assume it's some sort of security thing, it looks like a male star key fitting).

Anyone know where I can get the tool for this (or at least what it's called so I know what to look for?)

:smt017

Cheers

Morg
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

they are usually fitted with snap off bolts unless the ignition has been replaced then sometimes people just put cap heads or torx bolts in, the star type ones you suggest are the torx jobbies, you should be able to get a socket or bit for it from halfords, b&q or your local car accessory place.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
rmkd177

Post by rmkd177 »

:smt017 No need to take the ignition switch off...just put the key in and switch ignition on and turn into full lock(can remember which way) but right or left :smt003 and hey presto the top yolk will slide off...providing you have undone all the neccesary bolts. :smt002
R.Middleton
jamieblade

Post by jamieblade »

masterofinsanity wrote:they are usually fitted with snap off bolts unless the ignition has been replaced then sometimes people just put cap heads or torx bolts in, the star type ones you suggest are the torx jobbies, you should be able to get a socket or bit for it from halfords, b&q or your local car accessory place.
Aha! must be the same on the blade, was gonna polish the yoke ages ago and couldnt get the lock off. now i know why, hey you learns something new every day!