Changing the Head Bearings

Moderator: Moderators

solmansoft
My Bike: Kawasaki ZZR1100D7

Changing the Head Bearings

Post by solmansoft »

I need to change me head bearings over the winter.

Currently front (yoke - paddock) and rear (paddock) stands.

Does anyone know: -

1. How to support the bike, as I have to remove the entire front-end?
2. How you do this job?
3. The going rate for the job, been quoted £150 by my local garage and £165 by the loacl dealer.
Regards

Jason
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

nice job, pretty easy if you get the bike supported, you need one of those special tools (a jack) made by kawasaki mate, that supports the front of the frame, a trolley jack and a piece of wood usually works.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

head bearings

Post by sloweracing »

Not that bad of a job really

I got a plank of wood (take lower or fairing off ) place wood under the sump try to lift the front of the bike up then use bricks or axle stands .

Its easy for me as i do have a front stand that helps you so you can do the job on youre own

Then just drop every thing down( forks wheel ) then just undo the nut on the top as you take bits of stack them so you no what order they come of in

The top yoke then will lift off undo the next nut i just use good solid screwdriver as you do this place hand under bottom yoke when the nuts of the whole lot will drop down remeber which way the bearings go on the bottom bearing will stay attached and the top bearing will be sitting in the top

grease every thing up + clean then just the reverse you wont beleave how simple the job is

approx time / taking youre time 2 hrs max

mark all you clip ons up if use on the fork leg with permant marker so every thing goes back where you had it any problems you can email me on my web site and i send you my number if you live kent 10 minutes from brands hatch i do it for you

hope this helps
solmansoft
My Bike: Kawasaki ZZR1100D7

Thank You

Post by solmansoft »

Thanks for the advice. :D

I'll get the new bearings ordered up and make a start over the next couple of weeks! :roll:
Regards

Jason
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Theres always one of those ABBA stands. Supports the bike from the swingarm pivot point and then all you do tip the bike forward or back for whicever end your working on. My local tyre place uses em for when they are doing my tyres.