Steering stem tightness

Moderator: Moderators

hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Steering stem tightness

Post by hciR »

How tight does this nut have to be? The manual says 4.9 Nm but I don't have a torque wrench atm. Is it just a case of doing it up finger tight then nipping it up, or does it have to be quite tight?
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Re: Steering stem tightness

Post by Scott221 »

You on about the washer for the headstock? The way I did it was to full tighten it down to compress the bearings. Tight enough so the wheel can't move, locked solid. The I undid it till I felt comfortable with the steering. I've noticed that it needs tightening again now as the bearings compress futher do to riding on the the road, so beware of that also.
One life, Live it!
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

i d be worried about damaging the bearings/races doin it like that Scott.
I just make sure the new bearings are seated right using an old correct sized socket as a drift, then tighten it all up by hand, then a touch with the tools. then just grab the forks and see if there is any play or notchiness in the steering.adjust from there. I would always go for the kawasaki bearings too, not the cheaper pattern stuff
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

jake wrote:i d be worried about damaging the bearings/races doin it like that Scott.
Nah it was fine. I don't mean stupidly tight anyway as if I remember correctly theres plastic in the equation. A good metal drift is useful aswel to hammer those bearings home.
One life, Live it!
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by hciR »

Actually the manual does say to tighten it up, lossen it off, then re-tighten to correct torque. I used the old bearings to get the new ones in cos I didn't have a big enough socket. If it wasn't tight enough would the play be up and down?
stug
My Bike: Yamaha R1

Post by stug »

hciR wrote:How tight does this nut have to be? The manual says 4.9 Nm but I don't have a torque wrench atm. Is it just a case of doing it up finger tight then nipping it up, or does it have to be quite tight?
I done this 3 weeks ago and tried using the manuals 4.9Nm torque setting.
It was not tight enough and rocking the bike back and forward with the brake on you could feel a knock at the stem.
All you can do is tighten them a bit at a time until there is no play and no knocking while braking.