bent handlebar and MOT

Moderator: Moderators

nc73
My Bike: zxr400 L

bent handlebar and MOT

Post by nc73 »

So my right handlebar is bent (supposedly). My thumb will touch the frame if make a sharp turn to the right. I tried bending it back but no hope there since I can't remove the switches, one of the screws is stripped. So what I did was loosen the clipon on moved it just a tad to give me just enough space so my thumb doesn't touch. Now the only problem with this as most of you are aware is the little tab that prevents the handlebar from moving forwards or backwards...well I took the bolt out so I could adjust the handlebar but of course I have to leave the bolt out. Do you all think it will pass MOT? I can't tell if the the handlebar is bent but per the MOT guy it is.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: bent handlebar and MOT

Post by RedexRobB »

thing is if you leave the bolt out that means is going to move surely? You know if its bent for the reasons the MOT guy failed it. You may not even be able to see it once its off, as a small kink by the large bolt will be exagerated at the end of the bar.

I personally would be working out a way to get the switch gear off and get the thing replaced. Your other alternative is to undo the allen bolt underneath the top yoke that holds the clamp in place and ever so slightly turn it round the fork leg, but im not 100% sure if theres enough clamping force to keep it from turning.
nc73

Post by nc73 »

RedexRobB wrote:thing is if you leave the bolt out that means is going to move surely? You know if its bent for the reasons the MOT guy failed it. You may not even be able to see it once its off, as a small kink by the large bolt will be exagerated at the end of the bar.

I personally would be working out a way to get the switch gear off and get the thing replaced. Your other alternative is to undo the allen bolt underneath the top yoke that holds the clamp in place and ever so slightly turn it round the fork leg, but im not 100% sure if theres enough clamping force to keep it from turning.
I took the bolt out last night and seems to have stayed.
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

you dont need that bolt that goes into the top yoke.
The pinch bolts are more than enough, and dont tighten them pinch bolt up to much. worth getting the torque wrench on them
nc73

Post by nc73 »

jake wrote:you dont need that bolt that goes into the top yoke.
The pinch bolts are more than enough, and dont tighten them pinch bolt up to much. worth getting the torque wrench on them
Yeah I would think they are enough too. Torque wrench is a good idea.
nc73

Post by nc73 »

well passed me MOT retest :excited