UPDATE Very bent frame worth a check if you're buying

Moderator: Moderators

oldskoolracer
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 1998

UPDATE Very bent frame worth a check if you're buying

Post by oldskoolracer »

Hello all, recently bought back my ZXR for £100 when someone cut across my path at traffic lights, wasn't a high speed crash, at first I thought the forks had just twisted or misaligned but after slackening and re tightening the yokes and fork assembly my wheel is still way back. I didn't think much of it but there is paint flaking off the frame below the yokes where the engine cast mounts are welded. Has anyone else had there frame bent in this way, seems like the forks should bend before the entire frame as it a substantial piece of frame but sadly everything points to it :-/ I've put up some pics can people compare with there frames, I know these frame have dimples in the top part by the tank but mine seems kinked where the small hole is also there is small paint flaking which could be a sign of stress but these formations are the same on both sides? Any help would be great, I know frames with log books aren't majorly expensive.

UPDATE
Here are some pics of my bent frame oddly not bending any steering components or forks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by oldskoolracer on Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldskoolracer

Re: Bent frame or bent yokes? In a front end crash :-/

Post by oldskoolracer »

Picture of the other side hard to see the distortion but the paint flaking can be seen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldskoolracer

Re: UPDATE Very bent frame worth a check if you're buying

Post by oldskoolracer »

photo 1 (2).JPG
photo 2 (2).JPG
photo 2 (3).JPG
oldskoolracer

Post by oldskoolracer »

photo 3 (2).JPG
photo 3 (3).JPG
photo 4 (1).JPG
Last edited by oldskoolracer on Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richyrd5
My Bike: 400h

Post by richyrd5 »

Usd forks are VERY strong and most bikes with them will bend the frame before the forks..seen it a few times....very rigid they are and alloy frames are surprisingly weak.... :smt017
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

I bent my frame when I had a head on collision with a cow (bovine creature rather than some of the female gender) and didn't want to replace my frame so had it jigged. May be cheaper getting a new frame but at least I know it's definitely straight now
richyrd5

Post by richyrd5 »

Yep a mate of mine years ago smashed his rd500 in to a car who u turned in front of him..had the frame jigged at motoliner..but it never rode the same after that..he sold it for £1500 (in 1990!)and got £1500 from the guys insurance so was happy with 3 grand as they were only worth 2 odd then..the guy who bought it said it 'rode lovely'.!!. :smt017
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

thats not bent! this is bent!!!! lol
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
richyrd5

Post by richyrd5 »

I've taxed worse :smt016 ll...(that's fooked!!)
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

bit of t-cut will sort it :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

banner001 wrote:bit of t-cut will sort it :D
with cable ties and gaffer tape too

sorted.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::