Moderator: Moderators

jamesgoodfella
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 H1 + CB350K2

Frame number swap

Post by jamesgoodfella »

Asking for a friend of course so by no means is this me thinking of doing it,

Friend put his donor engine into his original frame only to notice a huge crack in it when he sat down after fitting the engine himself..
He has another frame which had the donor engine so the engine is back in there. He's thinking of just putting his plate onto the frame and making a fancy metal tag with the cracked frame number on it and covering over the old frame number. Just because he hasn't got the V5 yet as the PO couldn't find it and obviously he doesn't have the money to go out and MOT, Tax and change insurance details over.
masterofinsanity wrote:or use a Duplo brick :smt002
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Frame number swap

Post by banner001 »

YOur friend can do whatever he wants, but good luck selling it in the future, convincing an insurance comany in the event of a claim, or the police in the event of an accident.

IMO its not worth it, you can apply for a V5 for £25, your mate shouldnt have bought a vehicle without a V5 anyway (in case its stolen).
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
jamesgoodfella
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 H1 + CB350K2

Re: Frame number swap

Post by jamesgoodfella »

He said it would simply he temporary until the paper work comes as he is meant to take it aboard in a few weeks and obviously needs the bike.
He can assure you it's not stolen as it was from a friend. Once the v5 is here he'll obviously sort it all out legitimately as there's no point in keeping it dodgy.
Probably just apply for a new log book today and leave the stupid idea, even looking for a legitimate looking vin plate is expensive.
He was more thinking out loud :pmsl
masterofinsanity wrote:or use a Duplo brick :smt002