HID Xenon bulb conversion... 300% brighter!

Moderator: Moderators

tink
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L2

Re: HID Xenon bulb conversion... 300% brighter!

Post by tink »

Very nice might get a set of them
Songshan
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400

Post by Songshan »

Took it out for a spin last night. There's definitely a difference. Although I think I'm stuck on full beam at the mo so I've angled the beam downwards to stop blinding anyone. Think my issue with the low beam is a fuse. Now looking for this glass fuse on the left hand side?? Anyone any ideas where that is?
Songshan

Post by Songshan »

Hey,

Ok not found the fuse but haven't looked yet. Spoke to a nice lady at Hids4u. The piece with the two switches works best with bikes so what I have installed is correct, the small box with the double leds (part of the h4 bike kit) needs to be swapped for the double switches one.The switches should both be either in the on or off position and not one of each. Fine on that count.

The second small connector on the same output as the three pronged bulb plug is a bit stiff so need to make sure it's properly connected. Also i need to check that the bulb physically moves in and out whilst switching from low to full beam. That's how it works apparently. Will check this all out and let you know.

My pass light works with the lights off, with the park light on, but lights on full gives me full beam rather than dipped. Could that be a fuse?

Not sure why the switches lead doesn't come with the slimline ballast kit then? That would save 40£ odd.
Songshan

Post by Songshan »

K wasn't the fuse. The bulb was faulty. Took it off the mounting and it wasn't moving. Replaced it with the other one from the other kit, hey presto the bulb moves and I now have low beam/high beam. Boom!

I would definitely recommend this kit. If, like me, you only have 1 front light cluster, phone hids4u and ask for the slim line balast kit with the double switch lead rather than the box with the two red LEDs on it. About £40 in total and I suppose double that for a twin light. Happy that the winter riding is going to be much safer now.
Songshan

Post by Songshan »

Blasted up to Orpington from Bristol last night. Wicked spread of light on low beam, and a nice trail of melted retina behind me on high beam, well at least from the odd friendly flash to drivers to ask politely to get out the way. Happy days! Best mod out there for my sh***y zxr lights.
bumble72
My Bike: ZXR 400L

Post by bumble72 »

gavinfdavies wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:18 am

Result...
Photo0123.jpg
The yellow one is an Osram 40%+ H4 bulb (55/60W) whilst the white one is the 35/35w HID bulb. When riding you can't even see where the H4 is illuminating, because the HID is just so damn good! :excited
That,s a hell of difference. And a very nice explanation. Cheers. I guess you wouldn't have a pre and post fitting photo of illumination on the road? If not have you found a big difference in night riding with the HIDs.

You wouldnt have tried led vs hid would you? And which did u find better for night riding? And fitting?
bumble72
My Bike: ZXR 400L

Post by bumble72 »

Songshan wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:57 pm
Blasted up to Orpington from Bristol last night. Wicked spread of light on low beam
That's good to know.
Cheers Song.
Have you tried led lamps at all? How do they compare to HID?
Declan