M max box but still 10k limiter

Moderator: Moderators

hirsty
My Bike: zxr400

M max box but still 10k limiter

Post by hirsty »

Hi I am currently getting my zxr ready for the summer for when I do my test. I havnt rode it and can't now as it has no front forks on as I am doing the oil seals. My question is when I rev it to 10k it won't go any further so was going to do the resister mod but I have just seen the plug with 3 cables has an m max box plugged I to it but yet still won't rev higher. My cdi is a denso with a z on it and the bike is a h1. Thanks
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: M max box but still 10k limiter

Post by Tirpitz »

So what's the question? :smt017
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
hirsty

Post by hirsty »

Why wont my bike rev above 10.5k rpm even though it has a Mmax fitted? This is stood there on the stand though if that makes a difference.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

M-Max is a SPEED derestrictor not REV

As far as I am aware non of the bikes were rev limited :smt017

The SPEED off boxes usually plug in at the clocks with a single block connector.

Possible reason for your bike not reving past 10k is ,

a) Its been fecked about with and something aint right
b) The jetting is wrong for whatever exhaust system and filter you have

both of the above.

Nothing to do with the M-Max unless its been fecked about with so try unplugging and see as it doesnt normally affect rev's.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
hirsty

Post by hirsty »

Yes japanese imports are rev limited people do the resistor trick or mmax box. Well that is what i have read anyhow. Isnt jetting runs well and revs to 10k very smooth and quick.
cardboardcutouts
My Bike: Zxr 400 1991

Post by cardboardcutouts »

Dont know if its any help to you but i had theis problem and have sorted it, if you check my posts you should find the thread and in there i put pictures up to show how i did it. Mines running lovely now!
hirsty

Post by hirsty »

i have a box like that plugged into a 3wire connector with those colour wire in it. Is it worth trying to plug the connector back into the clocks and do the resistor trick as the Mmax box could be broke? has been stood for 12month? If so were does the connector go on the kph clocks?
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

CCs problem was down to swapping out the clocks.

Japan Domestic Models are SPEED restricted to 180KPH

The three wires (Pink) tell the CDI when you have reached 180KPH from a trigger in the OEM clocks.

Now to stop riders from simply unplugging those wires ( Effectively what you do when changing clocks) if the CDI doesn't revceive any pulse from the clocks at all it defaults the rev limiter from the engine saving 15,500 RPM standard setting to 10,000 RPM which in turn should stop the bike from going over 180KPH

I have MPH clcoks on mine but still have a speed off box on it - my bike revs all the way to 15,500 RPM with out the box I would guess the 10K limiter would kick in, have never tried it.

With the KPH clcoks on and no box the bike would still rev up to 15,500 RPM but by the time you redline it in 4th you hit the speed restriction so going into 5th & 6th it goes no faster and as soon as it hits 180KPH it cuts power to the coils - although I have never witnessed it , I would assume 180KPH in 6th @ 10,000 RPM

If the speed box is faulty it will make the CDI default to the lower rev limiter , unplugging it and fitting the block connector back into the clocks will remove this but you will be speed restricted.

You can either "doctor" the clcoks to stop the trigger working , buy a KPH ~ MPH convertor off ebay so it never reaches the trigger , do the resistor mod , get another speed off box or live with 112MPH top end.

MM!
hirsty

Post by hirsty »

Ahh makes sense now sorry. were does the connector plug in? I am going to be getting an kph - mph converter anyway so will do that method! Thanks been bugging me!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Don't have clocks at hand to photo but in the back at the top in between speedo and rev counter you will see where the 3 pin is - nothing else plugs in around it so very apparent. The M-Max should be plugged into it just now and a 3 pin connector should be dangling.
hirsty

Post by hirsty »

That's my problem then! My m max is plugged into the connector Harness and not the clock housing.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

hirsty wrote:That's my problem then! My m max is plugged into the connector Harness and not the clock housing.
Errr , its been about 14 months since I done mine - maybe it does LOL but was sure the BEET speed off box was plugged into the clocks , in fact it must have been as I only bought the clocks and it came with them.

Now you got me thinking - have a M-Max , Red Rev & BEET so will compare them in the morning.

If it fits the loom it wont fit the clocks, connections are male oneside and female other.
hirsty

Post by hirsty »

Deffo fits the loom. Will plug conector in see if it revs and the. Get mph converter.