HELP!!!

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

HELP!!!

Post by Miles »

After spending all winter rebuilding Im still having the same problem. If you leave the bike to idle it will do it all day. within 5 mins of riding it cuts out, to which it is a pig to start again and when it does it take several mintues to rev up. Once its started the revs stick and it sounds like the coils are cutting in and out and will eventually die again.

This problem happens with both sets of my carbs and IC's or a combination of the two. I also replaced the coils with CBR sticks.

After rebuilding the engine and having both sets of carbs pro cleaned and set-up I can only assume its the electrics, bad earth? fuel pump relay?

Any help would be great as it didnt do this before it went in the river :smt017
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: HELP!!!

Post by RedexRobB »

Id stick with the original coils till u sort this issue, some people have had issues with them and could potentially be adding to your problem.

Since the carbs and coils are probably ok going by the fact it runs, id be looking at the fuel pump. Check out the workshop manual on the main page there's a test for it.
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

pump and relay both fine, have tried with others from working bike and still same problem. Cleaned all the earths no result. Altenator is still getting hot though and battery is charging at 15v+

changed out reg/rec but didnt sort, going to try new battery

any thoughts?
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Could be the CDI mate.
Also, when the bike is idling, bounce on it. If it dies it's more than likely to be a buggered wire.
Oh. And bypass the sidestand switch.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

could it be a ignition sensor overheating etc, and then refusing to work, only working once cooled down?
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

Tried swapping the fuel relay and pump but still same problem. I guess i'll just have to keep swapping parts out till I find the one.

Also my battery is getting cooked (16v +) and the altenator is roasting, I've swapped out the reg/rec but same thing. Gonna measure the output from the alt and see what Im getting
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

measured alt output, getting 43v from any of the three terminals. Battery still getting 16v
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

that sound about right for the generator, on all three yellow wires? Check the brown and white wire coming off the reg/rect these should only be about 14v when the bike is running. If not then prob a duff reg/rect
These things are sent to try us!!