Electrical problems

Moderator: Moderators

Spankey
My Bike: ZXR 400 L8

Electrical problems

Post by Spankey »

Hey,

Have been having a slight problem with my zxr (L8/9) and I reckon someone here will know better than me what the problem is, here's what happened:

Started up and headed off to work as normal, no problems all the way to London. Then when I come off the M1 I have to stop at lights, normally no problem, but for some reason the bike cuts out and will not start again. After a quick push to the side of the road before the traffic can squish me I try again, lights come on but nothing when I push the button and no joy trying to bump start. Resigned to my fate I called the AA to come and rescue me and have to wait 45 minutes for them. In the mean time I keep trying to start it, sometimes it tries to turn over sometimes it doesn't, then after half an hour it starts up fine! Speed off and get to work okay but then it gets to home time and it won't start again so I call the AA again. The guy comes out and after much tinkering and being none too gentle with my pride and joy he declares that the regulator/rectifier is at fault (fair enough?). So he straps a car battery to the pillion seat so I can get home (about 30 miles... it only tipped up and poured lovely battery juice all over me and my bike once though so that's okay...). Get home and the guy disconnects the car battery and says charge mine and put a new regulator on and it'll sort it and off he goes.

I've bought a new regulator and charged the battery overnight so it starts fine now. A friend has tested the bike with both old and new regulator on and it doesn't appear to have made any difference and the battery isn't charging. Has anyone had this happen before? I'm hopeless with electrics so I don't really know where to start...

Thanks

H
the-honk-bonk
My Bike: zxr 400 h2

Re: Electrical problems

Post by the-honk-bonk »

I had a similar problem a few evenings going home. turn on the ignition, sometimes the lights light up, sometimes not, a 'click' from under my seat and no starter :smt013 . Wait awhile and hey presto it turns over and starts. Full battery.. This stopped after I lightly sanded the battery connections& bolts and made sure there was a good clean connection, tightened everything up and then smeared grease over the connections to prevent any corrosion. Never had a problem since only lately my battery is on its way out(i think/hope!).
So a mixture of a wasted battery and faulty connections is my problem, maybe same with you?
Try all possible methods then adopt the best one.
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

the way of checking the reg/rect is in the manual. But basically there is a white permanently live wire, a brown switched wire and three yellows. You need to check these yellow ones as well as they come from the generator.
With the bike running you should get about 14v across the battery terminals. If not, check what is on the brown wire at the reg/rect this should be 14v. If it is then there is a break in wiring from reg/rect to battery.
if no luck on brown wire, then on ac current you need to check the yellow wires (figures are in the manual) All three yellow wires should be about the same, if not on one check for breaks in the wiring to the generator. If no breaks and the voltage is off then its proba new generator required. Try all of that though and see how you get on.
These things are sent to try us!!
Spankey
My Bike: ZXR 400 L8

Post by Spankey »

I remember the reading across the terminals was 12.15v so I'll check out the other readings and see if anything turns up...

Hope I can get this sorted soon because I've got a track day coming up and pushing a bike found Rockingham doesn't sound like fun!

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I'll let you know how it goes biggrin
julien
My Bike: ZXR 400 H2, ZZR 1400

Post by julien »

Hi all.

I've exactly the same troubles with my H2 since may 2010 ... :smt012

All begining by stater and battery charging problems.
So I've change the regulator/rectifier on june 2010. I've use the bike without so many probs (sometime a few) and on october, troubles come again.
By searching the cause of problem I discover that de loom at the connection with regulator was completely die (cable was naked and cause short-circuits).

So I decide to change the complete loom and regulator (again) !

I've run over 500 kilometers with this new config wihtout probs but yesterday ... The probs come again. I bought a new battery, and this morning miss kawa was ok to run well but for manu much time ???

I'm completely staled about this way. If I can lend my support resolve this problem, or if you have any solution, I'm here ;)

Have a nice road.
Julien
the-honk-bonk
My Bike: zxr 400 h2

Post by the-honk-bonk »

good idea to strip the loom back a bit and check the state of the wires.
funny coincidence.. two julien's with H2's..mines matt black tough smiler
Try all possible methods then adopt the best one.
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by parby81 »

got to check all those wires. Whilst your checking voltags, i'd also be checking continuity. A decent multi meter will be able to do it, touch both ends of wire and a sound should be emitted, if no sound, you have a break in the wire.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

That only works if you isolate that particular wire from everything else on the bike. With various switches and relays on the bike theres no guarantee that you can do that. Best way i find is tracing the voltage along parts of the wire, this is what i did when i fixed Lewis H model to get the passing lights to work. If you get a reading at one point, move along and its then not there then you know somewhere inbetween the two something has gone wrong.
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by parby81 »

Oh i know rob, but as a starting point, particularly with the yellow wires from the genny, and a needle to stick in the wire and test along it if you don't get a reading. Most of the problems with the genny, reg/rect and batttery seem to be burnt out connectors, melted insulation and corroded wires.
cpb153
My Bike: YZF-R6

Post by cpb153 »

Hi there all. I am trying to help Spankey out with this problem. I have followed the checks as set out in the manual. There is sufficient ac voltage to the regulator( 43v@4000rpm). There is only 12v at the brown wire terminal of the regulator regardless of rpm. But there is 46v at the white!! Surely this is wrong? We have already tried a brand new regulator and i am rapidly running out of ideas. Any help will be received greatly.