Cutting out - STRANGE!

Moderator: Moderators

U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Cutting out - STRANGE!

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I know it is an electric fault but I just dont know what it is now!

The bike runs fine but it just cuts out after a while and then goes completely dead. After about 10 mins I am able to bump start it.

I have changed the Generator, fuel pump, regulator which were all from working bikes.

What else should I be looking for?

Thanks
Ciaran
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Cutting out - STRANGE!

Post by CaNsA »

Check the loom dude, ball ache i know.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

When you say dead, do you mean it wont start or there nothing, no lights etc...?

Whats the battery like?
U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

Rob - the battery is fine as I took it off a bike that I have been using. Well not completely dead - the dummy lights are very faint for a bit but then after a while they become brighter. If I try to start it up the rev needle moves up and nothing. It's not got an alarm or immobiliser either.

Cansa - :smt010 I know, I do have another loom that I can try but do you know what I should be looking for?

Thanks
Ciaran
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

U_h0rnet5 wrote:Cansa - :smt010 I know, I do have another loom that I can try but do you know what I should be looking for?
A broken thing..... :tease

I had a sketchy "main line" on the 1st zxr. It was slap bang in the middle of the loom and everytime i went over a bump the bike cut out, then came back to life.

BUT with you saying it happens after a while, then sorts its self out i would look at anything that might be overheating.
reg/rec?
ECU?

have you got a spares that you can try?
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

CaNsA wrote:
U_h0rnet5 wrote:Cansa - :smt010 I know, I do have another loom that I can try but do you know what I should be looking for?
A broken thing..... :tease

I had a sketchy "main line" on the 1st zxr. It was slap bang in the middle of the loom and everytime i went over a bump the bike cut out, then came back to life.

BUT with you saying it happens after a while, then sorts its self out i would look at anything that might be overheating.
reg/rec?
ECU?

have you got a spares that you can try?
Yep I definitely have plenty of spares considering I have three of them in my garage lol. I have already changed the reg from my race bike that was working fine. Never really considered the ECU so might change that and give that a try see what happens.

I did notice that the wire from the Left Hand instruments was a bit damaged, the one for the clutch so might change that as well.

Ciaran
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

Check all the grounding points too.

good luck mukka, let me know how you get on.

U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

Its not the ECU lol

The grounding points I have put like my race bike and am I right in saying that there is only 2?

Ciaran
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Grounds were my next suggestion, there are two, one on the top of the motor above the gear box and one in front of the rear shock. Make sure the surfaces are clean and as cansa said, work your way through the loom and make sure its all ok, no chaffing, connector blocks clean etc...
U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

Right then guys,

I have cleaned up all the connections and cleaned where the grounding points are. I took the battery out from my working bike which is all good and used it to start up the faulty bike. She fired up fine, I left her to run for a while until she hit high temp. then turned it off cooled down and then fired her back up again which was fine.

The problem I had was then I put the battery back into my other bike which it came from and there was not enough juice in the battery to start her up!!!!

So I am guessing from this it must be a charging issue?? Can anyone point us in the right direction or even know anyone who would be able to have a look or more knowledge on this subject?

Thanks
Ciaran
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Next step is to check the voltage at the battery. Check the manual but i believe its 14.5 volts with engine running at 4krpm.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

U_h0rnet5 wrote:So I am guessing from this it must be a charging issue??
No. The bike ticking over won't put anywhere near like the juice back in which you've used to start the bike twice, it needs to be run properly on the road for probably over half an hour with plenty of revs. So all you've done is flatten the battery but this doesn't imply anything is wrong with the charging circuit at all.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock