Radiator fan wiring

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Radiator fan wiring

Post by banner001 »

After reassembling my bike the only wires i didnt mark properly were the ones going to the radiator switch, i.e. on the left side of the bike. They are both coloured the same (white and blue stripe if my mind serves me correct), except one has a straight connector, the other is a right-angle connector...does it matter which way they are connected to the switch?

i would think not as its probably just a switch so you apply voltage to one side and see if it makes a connection...but i would like to be sure, at the moment the fan has not come on during normal riding, but it only came on once before after a 2 hour blast up the motorway on a sunny day.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: Radiator fan wiring

Post by Tirpitz »

I would think it does matter as the fan is a kind of propeller. If you wire it up the wrong way it will blow air through the rad from back to front, so fighting against any air coming in if you are moving slowly. It needs to rotate so as to pull air through from front to back and add to any air coming through naturally. Just let the bike tick over when you arrive home, the fan will soon come on and you will be able to feel which way the wind is blowing. Sod's Law you'll have got it wrong but a swapover of the wires is easy enough then.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

ok im off up north today, if the fan is on then ill stick my hand under and see...not that too much air can flow through my really bad radiator, a good 50-60% of the fins are bent over, almost all are covered in crap, a few have crumbled as i have touched them which is why im reluctant to clean the current ones. oh and i have no oil cooler attachment points on the rad, so the oil cooler is cable-tied in position :D

will have to look at getting a decent rad, one with all the correct mounting points on and installing that...but they are very rare for L models and are always fubar...requiring at the very least a recore (£200+)...and if i am going down that route i might as well get the top part letterboxed and fit a ramair at the same time...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

fitting ram air to your road bike is a waste of time and money..............

You will not be able to fit a proper air filter which will lead to serious engine wear.

but then what would I know about it