Bristol electric problems

Moderator: Moderators

charlestonchoo1
My Bike: zxr 400l 1991

Bristol electric problems

Post by charlestonchoo1 »

Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask whether anyone is in Bristol and would be willing to lend a hand with some confusing electric problems?

I have a 91 L model zxr and am having an issue with the starter motor staying on after the push start button is pressed and released.

P.S. Cups of tea included :smt001
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: Bristol electric problems

Post by Tirpitz »

Sounds like the contacts are sticking. Get yourself a can of contact cleaner http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400ML-CARPLAN ... 4602d27f8a , split open the RH switchgear cluster so you can get at it and squirt. That should do it. Simples.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
charlestonchoo1
My Bike: zxr 400l 1991

Re: Bristol electric problems

Post by charlestonchoo1 »

Sorry didnt leave enough info in the first post.

The switch has been tested and is not staying stuck on so thats one thing that does work. I have been investigating a little more and have narrowed the fault down to a couple of things so started eliminating components piece by piece. I removed the fuel pump relay and tried starting the bike. This seemed to have fixed the problem as now the motor only operates when the start button is depressed, however no fuel pump!!!!!

Going to have a look and see whether I can check the wiring and the fuel pump relay tomorrow as I think that it is the relay which is getting stuck on and delivering power to the starter motor.

Regards,
Charlie

P.S. Thanks very much for your fast reply Tirpitz