Bike has no electrical power whatsoever

Moderator: Moderators

ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Re: Bike has no electrical power whatsoever

Post by ross46 »

You dont need access to the connections, just the wires, and then you can just pierce the insulation and either get a reading on a voltmeter or a light on the test light
dtr36
My Bike: honda 50

Post by dtr36 »

what was outcome on this as i got same problem no electrics at all
Sinister747
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L7

Post by Sinister747 »

dtr36 wrote:what was outcome on this as i got same problem no electrics at all
Got a test light and routed it back to a dodgy cable under the petrol tank (white cable) - re-patched the cable and it was fine after that
Jamie.tosh85
My Bike: ZXR400 L7

Post by Jamie.tosh85 »

Sinister747 wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for the helpful advice, I have swapped out the 30Amp fuse with no result so looks like the white wire is the probable culprit; I distinctively remember the pop coming from around the Ignition and at first suspected the ignition had failed; I will order a test light (checked locally only volt meters will they work?). How do I get access to the white cable in the Ignition as I really suspect it's loose as no lights come on at all and nothing works on the bike (not even the neutral light etc).

How do I get access to the ignition barrel to check the wire?

Regards,
Justin

I too had a simular problem and found that the conection block to the Ignition barrel and wiring loom was badly corroded and one of the terminals was on its way out! The white wire! Simply spliced the wire and bypassed the terminal.. works fine now :) Looks like a lot of dirt and muck gets kicked up off the front wheel here and after two winters it must have collected a fair amount of salt too to help perish the electrics ..

Thanks for the advice
Jim