Bike has no electrical power whatsoever

Moderator: Moderators

adamm1704
My Bike: Zxr400 H1

Bike has no electrical power whatsoever

Post by adamm1704 »

Hi, Bike has no power at all, not even then neutral lights or indicators are coming on. Ive checked all the fuses, there all good and battery is fine too. Any ideas?
Thanks
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Bike has no electrical power whatsoever

Post by RedexRobB »

Have u checked the 30 amp main fuse? Connector blocks? Have u done any work on it recently?
adamm1704

Post by adamm1704 »

Yup i checked the 30amp fuse and that's fine, all connecter blocks look good, and no Ive done now work recently its been absolutely fine. I did leave it outside and that night it rained hard, then the next morning was when it had no electrics. Maybe some water has damaged the wiring inside the connecter blocks? Any checks i can do to make sure?
Cheers
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Could be worth blow drying the connector blocks with compressed air to be sure. But id have the multimeter out and tracing the live from the battery till u get no volts.
adamm1704

Post by adamm1704 »

Okay cheers ill give that a go tomorrow, Any idea what wire is the constant live? I cant make out the wiring diagram as its not clear enough,
Thanks
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

the wiring diagram is for me perfectly clear............perhaps you should go to specsavers

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/Manuals/L%20M ... r%2015.pdf
thomp1983
My Bike: zxr 400 l3

Post by thomp1983 »

the constant live is the one that bolts to the positive wire on the battery just follow it from there, id also follow the earth wire from the battery and check it's secure at the earth points. also check your battery is fully charged.

chris
adamm1704

Post by adamm1704 »

Cargo - I was looking in the H manual as Ive got a H bike, didn't realize there was one in the L manual too. Cheers for the link.
Chris - Thankyou ill start there then
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

i had a very similar problem that i posted about before. i was fixing my bike, was absolutely fine was running etc. i then put the seat on and nothing, no lights, no dash, bike wouldnt even try to fire. i found it was the permanent live, its a white wire running from the starter solenoid to the ignition barrel and then throughout the whole wiring loom, i found that someone had put a crimp connector on it and it had rusted and when i put the seat on had dislodged it, best way to test that i found was get a test lamp/light, and run from the starter solenoid to the ignition barrel and then look on the wiring manual to see where it goes from there, i know it goes to the regulator so you could try testing there toi see if the powers gettiong through, good luck, these electrical problems are a pain.
Sinister747
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L7

Post by Sinister747 »

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread and sorry for bringing it back up but its top of the list and my exact problem; my bike had a lot of work done on it by a local mechanic and it was working fine when I got it back, while he was working on it he also had to mess with the headlight cable as the headlight wouldn't work but got it fixed.

So long story short got the bike back and went for a ride went fine for some time, stopped to relax and when I put the stand down and turned handlebars fully to the left I heard a pop that sounded like it came from around the handlebars/under the fuel tank and I lost all electrics on the bike; battery is brand new and fully charged, took the fuel tank off and since I had no multimeter I made sure the battery had juice (made some sparks) but every cable coming from the battery appears to have no power at all.

Is this a problem with the fuse box? ECU? Maybe the ignition barrel? I have taken off the fuel tank and all that and can see no obvious problems and my mechanic said he was almost 100% sure it is a loose connection behind the clocks but I messed around to no avail I would also presume this would not stop all power going from the battery to the fuse box it seems like the bike isn't even asking for or trying to engage the electrics?

It may be important to note that I washed the bike before I took it out for the ride, I am considering replacing the CDI to see if it helps but wanted your opinion first; I would get my mechanic to look at it but he is away to the Isle of Man TT for 3 weeks and I would really like to go out for a ride. All help really appreciated please also note my skills on motorbikes and electrics is limited.

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards,
Justin
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

can you get the bike to turn over?

thats the easiest circuit to test as it only requires "battery - 30A fuse - starter solenoid - starter motor" i would check your 30A main fuse thats located on the LHS of the bike, under the side panel - it has a big red wire going to it from the battery +ve terminal, if you have no power at all that fuse is the most likely culprit.

also it might be that when you turned the handlebars you opened one of the 3 or 4 connector blocks that are wedged around the airbox, the frame and the top of the engine, so you can always look there as well, that could explain the "pop"
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Buy a test light, cost about £5 for a draper one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-12579- ... 4ac43c3fba
£3! Lovely little tool, put the clip on the frame or negative battery terminal and just stab a wire with the probe and if a light comes on you have power. Check you have power at the white wire as that is the main live of the bike, check the one on the regulator, if you don't have power there work back, print out a circuit diagram and trace it. do you have the neutral switch/high beam/ oil pressure lights working?
from a quick glance over the diagram i would test these bits for power;

-white wire from starter relay
-check 30 amp fuse
-white wire at reg/rec, fusebox and ignition barrel
-white wire then supplies power through ignition barrel to the grey wire for the cdi and the brown wire which goes to-reg/rec, fusebox through 4 fuses so check all of the fusebox fuses.
-then from the brown wire going into the fusebox that supplies power through to the, horn, ignition, taillight, headlight, fan, ACC (anyone know what that stands for? no outlet in fusebox?) and the indicators

so if theres no power through out the bike it is very likely to be the white wire leading to the ignition barrel, if theres no power there then theres no power to the brown or grey wire which controls the rest of the stuff apart from the coils which are powered directly through the starter button which gets its power from the starter circuit relay (black and red wire out of the fusebox) i hope that doesnt seem to complicated? if you have any questions just ask
Ross
Sinister747

Post by Sinister747 »

Hi All,

Thanks for the helpful advice, I have swapped out the 30Amp fuse with no result so looks like the white wire is the probable culprit; I distinctively remember the pop coming from around the Ignition and at first suspected the ignition had failed; I will order a test light (checked locally only volt meters will they work?). How do I get access to the white cable in the Ignition as I really suspect it's loose as no lights come on at all and nothing works on the bike (not even the neutral light etc).

How do I get access to the ignition barrel to check the wire?

Regards,
Justin
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Your going to have to strip back the insulation, strip it back at the ignition barrel and if there's no power there, then you work back, mine had some shitty connector that had rusted through
Sinister747

Post by Sinister747 »

ross46 wrote:Your going to have to strip back the insulation, strip it back at the ignition barrel and if there's no power there, then you work back, mine had some shitty connector that had rusted through
Thanks Ross will give this a go when I get home, so I do not need access to the inside of the ignition barrel? if I peel back the insulation I should get access to all connections around the ignition barrel?