suspect cdi

Moderator: Moderators

alanh496
My Bike: zxr 400

suspect cdi

Post by alanh496 »

Hi folks, I recently rewired my zxr 400 to the sp diagram from the website (ie basic ignition/charging, for use at trackdays, eliminating the ignition lock and safety switches) and I don't get a spark. The circuit is pretty basic, I've spent ages checking, and bending my brain, (such as it is), and the only thing it can be is the cdi (unless both coils have given up the ghost at exactly the same time, which seems unlikely). But I'm now on the 3rd one (original, possibly faulty) plus 2 from ebay. (allegedly from running bikes). So if anyone with a bike would be prepared to try them for me (takes moments to plug in with the seat removed) I'd be extremely grateful. I would be very happy to bring the suspect Cdi's to them, or pay petrol and buy them a decent drink if they came to me (I'm in the MIlton Keynes area). Any help appreciated. Cheers, Alan.
Robbie
My Bike: zxr400

Re: suspect cdi

Post by Robbie »

mmm im not good with electrics but im sure there is an isue with a resistor when getting rid of the key??
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

im not going to drive to milton keynes, but put them in a self-addressed packet with postage paid both ways and i will stick them in my bike for you.

i am in coventry and i have a UK-spec L4 with a M-CDi in mine.

alternatlvely you drive up here (if you have alternative transport) and ill do them...no cost for either as long as you pay for postage both ways.

PM me for an address if needed
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

actually its only ~110 miles round trip, so at 17p per mile (what i charge work) thats £18.70, call it £20, i can come down after work sometimes, im only in coventry so its not too far to drive.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

banner001 wrote:put them in a self-addressed packet with postage paid both ways and i will stick them in my bike for you.

i am in coventry and i have a UK-spec L4 with a M-CDi in mine.

alternatlvely you drive up here (if you have alternative transport) and ill do them...no cost for either as long as you pay for postage both ways.

PM me for an address if needed
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Post by tobomoto »

if you can get to me ill test it there and then for you. im about 10 mins from braintree so a straightish run. pm me if interested.
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
alanh496
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by alanh496 »

Hi Robbie, just wanted to say thanks for putting me on the right track with the problem - checking the ignition lock there's 100 ohms between the live input and the output to the cdi. I also had a problem which came to light looking at the post you directed me to - I'd used the Sp wiring dia. from the racing manual, but this has a connection going to earth which on the L series dia goes to +ve. And there seems to be a 100 ohm resistance in the safety that prevents in gear/sidestand down, altho that's built in to the fuse box. Anyway it's running OK now, I hope to make it to Silverstone for a track day on Sunday - weather permitting. Cheers, Alan