Indicators do not turn on at all...

Moderator: Moderators

13aines
My Bike: Daytona 675

Indicators do not turn on at all...

Post by 13aines »

Hi all.

Wondered if anyone could help with my latest issue.

The indicators do nothing when the switch is operated. No idiot light, nothing.

It's happened before, but started working minutes later. This time, totally gone. Relay? Tired switchgear? Where do I begin?

Any tips, tests etc. appreciated. toad with electrics and don't know where to begin. Any common issues to start with?

Thanks.

Matt
13aines
My Bike: Daytona 675

Re: Indicators do not turn on at all...

Post by 13aines »

After taking apart the switch and cleaning and inspecting I replaced the relay with a cheap crap spare and they're fine...

Doh! I thought if that had gone duff they'd just stop flashing... Learn something new and everyday.

Can I just unclip the casing and unclip the resistor and capacitor and replace? Are they likely to be the culprits? This OE relay is Nippon, and much weightier and feels much better quality.
bumble72
My Bike: ZXR 400L

Post by bumble72 »

My bike came without front indicators and I,m about to put some new ones one. I bought one second hand for £6 and a new one ~£20. I suspect I may run into some functional issues when there on.
Could I ask you, where is the indicator relay?

Ta

Dec
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

The indicator relay is on the right hand side of the bike when sitting on it. It is hanging on a bracket at the top of the battery tray next to the negative terminal. I have a spare if you want it as I replaced my indicators with LEDs, which require a different relay. PM me if you want it.
bumble72

Post by bumble72 »

Thanks Ewetea

I only saw your offer now. Can I ask how did the cheapo relay fair? Is it still running.

I bought an OEM one. Will fit it when the bike dried off. Raining at the minute.
bumble72

Post by bumble72 »

@Ewetea

I was looking for the flasher relay on the wrong side of the bike. No wonder the cable colours were all wrong for the flasher relay. Right for the fuel pump.
My fuel pump relay is underneath the LHS panel, some
As far back as between the fuse box and the back of seat.
I reached it, and managed to disconnect it and not "test it" while looking for the indicator relay, (on the wrong side of the bike) by:

The front seat
The 2 bolts from the side panels, level with the front of the back seat
The 2 screws/ bolts from the back, topside, rear underseat compartment
The number plate
The screws on the underside of the rear fairing either side the rear light
Popping off the front of the side fairings, move them out, up slight, let go.
Getting down by the back wheel and slide my hand between the lhs rear subframe and the fairing.
It's a tight fit, but I just about managed to disconnect it, inspect it , soak o,n in vinegsr and, let it air dry, reconnect it.

Perhaps the Sarsons us a good bet if you,ve got crappy electrodes on your old relay?

Does anyone know the orientation the relay is supposed to go? I think it,d be spades down, rubber mount to the frame? Maybe it doesn't matter.