Electrical help on the ignition

Moderator: Moderators

skinnydog0_0
My Bike: Speedfight 100

Electrical help on the ignition

Post by skinnydog0_0 »

Hi All,

I am going to pick up my first zxr in 2 days, and the guy i am getting it from says it has a burnt out ignition.
The bike is also missing on C4? (far right cylinder as you are sat on the bike), so woudl like to try to get it fired up before i take it away on my trailer.

I have read through a few of the posts on here about using the 100ohm resitor in the CDI circuit, and this may well be the route i take as i plan on making it a race bike.
As far as i can tell from the HPI it was registered in 1997 and the guy who owns it seems to think it's a genuine UK bike.
I am guessing this would make it an L7?
The seller seemed to think it was an L2, so that woudl make it an import registered here in 1997??

I dont intend to ride the bike in the next few weeks as i am going to get it ready for track/road use and make sure it's good and solid before riding it.
Is there anything i need to consider before chopping the loome and adding the resistor, or is there another way i could start the bike with a burnt out ignition?
Also when the guy says ignition o am guessing he means barrel - but on second thoughts he probably means the starter solenoid?
If it is the solenoid - could i buypass it with a screwdriver across the terminals??
Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.
Cheers
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Electrical help on the ignition

Post by banner001 »

you are correct, if its the ignition resistor thats burnt out, you need to use a 100 ohm resistor inbetween the white and the grey wire, you will also need to connect the white wire to the brown, this will bypass the ignition barrel.

as for the starter solenoid, yes you can bypass it with a screwdriver by bridging the two terminals, you might also wanna try with the sidestand up (if faulty sidestand switch) and with the bike in neutral with the clutch pulled in (incase the clutch switch is dodgy).

making the race loom is easy, but check out the racing guide on the main page to see how to properly remove the fusebox - it makes sense now, but i wouldnt have attempted to remove it without seeing that electrical diagram first...enjoy :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
skinnydog0_0
My Bike: Speedfight 100

Re: Electrical help on the ignition

Post by skinnydog0_0 »

Thanks banner001, thats just the info i wanted.
FIngers crossed it's just a blown fuse. Are the reg/rectifiers on these quite solid, or are they prone to failure like the V4 honda ones?
I had a dodgy reg/rec on my RVF400 and that was similar symptoms - blowing the 30A main fuse and running rough.