need some help im stuffed

Moderator: Moderators

jonnyboy987
My Bike: zxr400

Post by jonnyboy987 »

hi everyone. bought my zxr 2 month ago jap import 91 L1. having problems with rev limiter. bike only revs two 10k in all gears. the bike has a blue L cdi it also runs the kmh to mph converter. i have changed plugs but cant test yet as don't have rear-sets or clip on yet. i will upload photos. also it dose not have a neutral or side stand switch or light there are two wires at clocks i pinched a light from my gs500 to test them and its on all the time even if bikes in a gear there are a few connections that have the connector into another connector with wire bringing the connection i think there are two on the bike one under airbox and one i have a photo of there is also one not connected to anything. i can unplug the one under the airbox and bike wont start but the light i have will stay on and the one i have a photo of bike starts with or with out it i think. there is the pink wire that's connected to some sort of resistor but dose not go anywhere at all. thank you for looking and would appreciate all the help i can get as it is really starting to pi%% me off. i have checked the manuals but my wiring loom has been chopped so badly that they don't help me much as colours don't match :( the files are wo big so i will put them on photo bucket to be seen. http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/jonny ... ibrary/zxr
cheers Jon
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: need some help im stuffed

Post by banner001 »

the pink wire needs to be attached to ground (bike frame/engine/-ve electrode) via a 10kohm resistor.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

You will also need the blue M CDI...
jonnyboy987

Post by jonnyboy987 »

hi again well i ground the pink wire and have an electrode and still 10K in neutral and in any gear with the back end off the ground.

and i am lookin at a few M cdi but a do have a funny feeling that wont cure it either. i am thinking about just going for a standalone ecu just so i can map the bike. i run a standalone set up on my nsr250 still needs dyno time but still good. or would i be as well just buy a uk loom and throw it in the bike with the M cdi?
tomrowley20287
My Bike: zxr400 h1

Post by tomrowley20287 »

You would only be restricted to 10k rpm if you haven't done it right?

Pink wire via a 10k ohm resistor direct to the negative terminal on the battery.

It's easily fixed, just needs to be done correctly.

You sure you have used a resistor?
jonnyboy987

Post by jonnyboy987 »

Aye I know what you mean and I do think iv done something wrong. Yeah it has the resistor well it had it when I bought the bike the guy showed my photos of the work but that can be anything. As I said the loom is a mess it has been hacked and all that. The 10K limmit dosent annoy me at the moment as it would be keeping the bike kind of legal for me at the moment as I have 6 month left at 33hp it's for when I come off the restriction. Plus I want to drag race the bike at crail.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

dont take ANYONES word for it...especially when the bike is in the electrical state that it currently is...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
tomrowley20287
My Bike: zxr400 h1

Post by tomrowley20287 »

My advice to you would be to learn how to use crimpers properly (if you don't already know how) and then chase every wire and make sure every bodged join is at least connected with a bullet type or spade type connector.

Any welded wire will eventually fail on a motor vehicle.

Or be prepared to spend some time building a new loom...
jonnyboy987

Post by jonnyboy987 »

Hi well I really really appreciate all the help and advice Iv looked threw other threads today and to be honest yes I could trace back every wire but it has extra wires for a wierd reason so I am just going to pull the loom and re-wire it tomorrow I have a lot of left over wire from other bikes and that. I managed to rewire my mc28sp 250 nsr with a custom ecu and wire in a oil temp gage and wideband so should be easy enough. Ill let you guys know how I get on when it's all done. But thank you very much for all the help.
Jon
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

If your going to do it, do it properly, get some plumbers flux to clean up old wires, then solder it all and cover up with heatshrink to seal out water and put silicone grease in every connector after you've cleaned all the connectors, did it to my bike and haven't had an electrical fault in 6 months apart from those caused by me