how to remove rear parking light

Moderator: Moderators

ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

how to remove rear parking light

Post by ross46 »

ok, im looking through the manual and im getting very confused. ive removed the front parking light as its a case of just removing the bulb but the rear parking light seems to use the normal bulbs. how would i go about stopping the rear parking light coming on as the damn thing has killed a £45 battery and im screwing :smt013
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: how to remove rear parking light

Post by RedexRobB »

Why is it coming on in the first place?

Are you turning the ignition key to the parking setting When switching off?
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Yeah, turning the steering to lock and sometimes it turns too far and goes onto parking lights, then if I dont realise then my battery is dead, I would just rather remove it, or if I know which wiring they use I'll put in a switch as a double safety
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

unfortunatly...according to the circuit diagram it cant be done, i.e. disabled by cutting an external wire. the parking lights work on the same set of wires that the lights operate on with the ignition switch in the "ON" position. some bikes use a different set of switched wires, on the zxr the switch is internal inside the ignition barrel.

it should be possible to disable the parking lights, from what i remember, inside the ignition barrel the conections are made using lengths of thick single-strand wire, to disable the parking lights simply find the correct single-core wire (joins the white wire to the red wire) and cut it, now the circuit can no-longer be made and power cant be sent from the white wire to any of the bulbs when the switch is set to PARK.

in the future if you want the lights to work again you simply need to cut and re-solder a new length of wire, or if you dont fancy that, buy a replacement ignition barrel and cut that one so you keep your original (with matching fuel tank lock) together as a complete set.

EDIT - sorry its early morning, put a ON/OFF switch on the RED wire coming from the ignition, if you set it to OFF your city light and number plate light will never be on, im not sure about the rear light i think it can still be switched on, if you set it to ON your bike will be as normal, however if you set it to OFF when you park your city light, numberplate AND rear brake lights will be off for sure.

thats what to do, ON/OFF in the red wire, flick it to ON when starting up, and set it to OFF and you wont ever have to worry about your parking lights, if you DO need them on simply set the switch to ON when parking and turn your key to PARK.

------

the original method is still valid, and if you think someone might have previously disabled your PARK lights, of if you DO want to permanantly disable them, the above way is the neatest.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

The poor child can barely cope with one ignition switch and cant mange to avoid one small extra turn of the key................how the hell will he cope with all that switching on and off of an extra switch, soldering, extra bits of wire.

My advice, try looking at your bike as you walk away and make sure the parking light is NOT ON

Easy really
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

we all make mistakes cargo, when your in a rush you just forget sometimes. what im trying to do is make it so that i have a back-up system. same reason i am putting a relay in for my heated grips so when the ignition is off the grips go off. i am very capable of soldering, rewiring and putting in a new switch. And thankyou banner, my post wasnt very detailed as i had just woken up on the sofa and was in bed trying to go back to sleep when i wrote the post. So i have just tested it and i cant just put a switch on the red wire as then i would have to have it turned on for the tailight and turn it off for the parking lights so defeats the object, so my plan is to buy two relays, one for the heated grips and one for the parking lights. for the grips im just going to put the positive wires through and have the brown wire attached aswell so when the ignition is off it will stop the grips. Should work for the parking lights aswell, i could then pull a wire from the connection on each side of the relay through a switch i leave off but if i need the parking lights for some reason i can turn it on and it will bypass the relay. Sound like a plan? Anybody see any faults? and what ampage relay will i need? 10 amp as thats the fuse on the lights? Thanks